I’m a big fan of food that can be cooked in one pot. It means less cleaning and usually a lot less time spent in the kitchen. Which means more time spent pottering in the garden or reading that book I’ve been planning to dig into since May. This Moroccan chicken dish ticks all of these boxes. And the kids love it. And if you are super smart you will make a little bit extra to pop into tomorrows lunch boxes.
Who doesn’t love a good curry? Um. Most of my family actually.
For me, it’s a case of ‘the hotter the better’, but my kids and wussy husband (I can say that because he never reads my blog), well they are not too happy with the burn so I have to compromise by cooking spicy dishes like this.. .. without the ‘spicy’.
But don’t you worry, this amazing Moroccan Chicken dish has all the flavor of a Moroccan curry but with zero burn. Kids are happy and I sprinkle a little chili on my plate to keep my braver taste buds satisfied.
The recipe calls for a few pantry staples like spices, dried lentils and cous cous and I always keep crushed garlic and ginger in the fridge. The only fresh ingredients you need to add are chicken and vegetables. So if you are a little bored with regular ol’ chicken & veg meal and want something a little different for dinner – this is the dish to try!
And Why dirty couscous you may be wondering? That’s just a little trickery on my side. We used to only purchase standard couscous, not the wholewheat variety. To jazz it up a bit and sell the wholewheat variety to the pickier members of the family, I just called it ‘dirty’. And everyone ate it without the fuss. Yip. It was that simple.Print
- 2 x chicken breasts or 4 x thigh fillets cut into quarters (approx 500g / 1/2lb)
- 1 x sweet potato, peeled and diced.
- 1 x onion diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup uncooked wholewheat couscous
- Preheat oven to 180.C / 350’F
- Mix together: ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, oil to make a paste. Mix paste and chicken until chicken is well coated.
- Place chicken, lentils, sweet potato, onion and stock in an oven dish. Cover with lid or foil and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and stir through uncooked couscous. Cover.
- Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes until couscous has absorbed all the sauce.
- Serve with a spoon of Greek Yogurt and shredded mint leaves (OPTIONAL).
Check out my Pinterest board for more One Pot Clean Eating Dishes (to make week nights a little easier for everyone).