This is a quick and easy week night dish made with seasonal vegetables, fresh cream and wholewheat pasta.
Wholemeal pasta is one of those things you think your children won’t eat. Simply because it looks different or you have never tried it.
I’m not kidding when I say this – My children haven’t even noticed the change to wholemeal pasta from our old standard refined pasta version. And I have two very picky eaters. They didn’t even ask the dreaded “is this different to the way you used to make this?” question. What they mean by this is – before they had to check if I had tried to sneak in something healthy.
Take this easy win and enjoy it. Make the swap to wholewheat pasta and then try this really tasty (and easy) pasta dish. And the leftovers pack up well for next day school lunch boxes.
This is my basic creamy pesto pasta. It is extremely versatile and you can add any combination of vegetables or meat to mix it up. So for example, I use this basic pasta to make any one of these three variations:
1. Chicken and mushroom (just add shredded chicken, mushroom and green pepper)
2. Ham and mushroom (just add ham and mushrooms)
3. Spinach and feta (just add spinach, pine nuts and feta)
What you need for this exact dish featured here:
Bag of dried wholewheat pasta
Salt and black pepper
Plus… Any vegetables you like. For this recipe I used.
and feta cheese
- Bag of dried wholewheat pasta
- 1½ cups fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh pesto
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced pumpkin
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- 8 - 10 cherry tomatoes
- ¼ block of feta cheese crumbed (about ¼ cup)
- Preheat oven to 400F / 350C. Bake pumpkin for 12 - 15 min until cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta. Cook until soft (about 10-12 min). Drain. Set aside.
- Heat large saucepan. Add a little olive oil and fry mushrooms until juices reduced, Add tomatoes and fry for around 1 min. Add pesto, cream. salt & pepper. Simmer for 5-7 min until cream had reduced slightly.
- Combine sauce, pasta, crumbled feta, raw spinach leaves and pumpkin and toss until well mixed.