If you are looking for a quick 15 minute dinner idea then you’re in for a treat. I discovered this 15 minute Thai Chicken and noodle salad at a friends dinner party about two years ago and have been making it ever since. It uses every trick in the meal planning handbook so you can even whip it together even after a longest day at work.
The Cheats way to make this Dinner SUPER Fast
1. Rotisserie Chicken. It doesn’t take too long to fry up sliced chicken breast, but to save a few minutes, feel free to use shredded rotisserie chicken or precooked shredded chicken.
MEAL PREP TIP: I make it a habit to roast and shred a whole chicken every weekend. I can then use the chicken in wraps, sandwiches or in this Thai noodle recipe. To avoid any food waste, freeze half the shredded chicken (I’m obsessed with these containers) and pop the other half in the fridge.
Related Post: 22 Genius Meal Prep Tips for Busy Moms
2. Bagged and Prepped vegetables. I recently splurged on a spiraliser so I’m now shredding my veggies in lighting speed, but pre-spiraliser days I would include a bag of shredded slaw in my grocery shop. This recipe calls for 2-3 cups of shredded veggies so a medium sized bag should do it. You can pretty much use any shredded veggie or salad ingredient so raid your fridge. Fresh coriander always finishes it off nicely.
3. Keep Bottled ginger and garlic. OK, so fresh garlic and ginger is amazing, but if you are under a little dinner time pressure, you can save yourself a few minutes by keeping pre-crushed ginger and garlic in the fridge. I cannot even tell you how many times this little tip has come to the rescue after I’ve opened the pantry to find I’m missing the fresh stuff.
Related Post: 10 Super Fast 20 Minute Dinner Ideas
Fussy Kid Tip
If you have a picky eater or two in the family, try serving this meal up as a DIY dinner. Keep chicken, noodles, veggies in separate bowls and let them ‘build their own bowl’. The rule in my home is they have to have minimum of two salad or veggies.
More Fussy Kid Tips: 22 Ways to Trick your Picky Eater eat more vegetables
How to Cook Vermicelli Noodles
- Bring a full kettle of water to the boil
- Add your noodles (try these brown rice noodles for a healthy option) to a bowl (big enough to fit noodles and a kettle full of water)
- Pour boiling water over the noodles and make sure the noodles are totally submerged.
- Cover with a lid and allow to sit for 4-5 minutes until tender. Stir to prevent sticking together.
- Drain water from the noodles using a colander and rinse under cold water.
How to Make this Recipe
- Prep noodles (see instructions above). I use about 3 cups of cooked noodles.
- Prep Salad (or open bag). You will need 2-3 cups of shredded salad and veggies
- Shred Chicken. I use 1 cup of shredded chicken
- Make up dressing. (see recipe below)
- Mix all ingredients together and serve!
Easy thai salad dressing.
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemons if you need to)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Tamari)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mix all ingredients together. Pour over salad.
Store in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days.