* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
This is how to make your basic, no frills, regular ol’ vanilla chia seed pudding. We have tried countless recipes all in the name of Clean Eating and ‘My mommy is a food blogger and she’s testing a recipe – again’ kind of way. Some are great, others a little meh and then there’s the scrub your tongue to get the taste away recipe too (I’ll come back to this one later one).
And I think that the thing that makes a recipe a keeper, is when you find yourself making the same thing on repeat. This is the chia seed recipe we keep coming back to. And when I say we – I mean the whole family agrees on it.
It’s mild, slightly sweet and has a thick, creamy jelly consistency that is like a dessert rather than a slimy milkshake. Play with the consistency a bit to see what suits your family, but in my opinion, it’s better to go heavy on the chia seeds rather than too little.
I make mine up in a large jar which fits two servings. The kids spoon it out into a cup and either eat it as it is or sprinkle their favorite (or whatever we have in the kitchen) toppings on top.
A Word of Warning
This is a personal opinion, so feel free to ignore this warning, but making the basic vanilla chia seed pudding using coconut milk is not recommended. I ended up throwing out a whole jar of ingredients (and I don’t like to waste), because it tasted yuck! I know a lot of recipes say it’s OK to use but the coconut is way too rich and totally overwhelms the mild vanilla taste. Stick with almond, oat or regular milk. Feel free to disagree. In fact, let me know in the comments. I would love to know if you are happy with the coconut milk taste.
Chia Pudding Toppings Ideas
- Mango or fruit Puree
- Sliced Fruit: Kiwi, Banana, Peaches
- Berries: Blueberries, Strawberries, raspberry
- Granola / Muesli
- Banana, Maple Syrup & Cinnamon
- Candied Walnuts (1/2 Cup walnuts and 1 tablespoon honey heated to boiling in a non stick pan)
- Toasted Nuts
Creamy Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding
- Mix all ingredients together in a 2 cup capacity jar and leave overnight in the fridge.