I love Jamie Oliver. There. I said it. My husband suspects it I am sure. It all started when I found this little Recipe for Pasta Sauce. As you may know, cooking is not one of my favourite household activities. Ha! And here I am writing a food blog. Ironic hey?
So, due to my dislike of spending hours in the kitchen, I love finding fast, convenient recipes that other people have perfected – and that I can actually make. This brings me back to Jamie. Oh Jamie ….
This sauce is loaded with veggies and fits in nicely with my Clean Eating Requirements.
Here it is: The “Bestest Ever” (As described my 5yr old son) Pasta Sauce.
The ‘Bestest Ever’ Tomato Sauce Ever
2 small onions, chopped small
4 cloves of garlic – crushed
2 zucchinis, grated
3 carrots, grated
1 tbsp. olive oil
large pinch of oregano
1 bunch of fresh basil – leaves picked and torn
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, grated
4 x 400g cans of diced plum tomatoes, with juice
2 cups water
pinch of sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to pan & heat. Add the onions, garlic, zucchinis and carrots along with the oregano and basil leaves.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes with the lid on, or until the veggies are soft but still moist.
- Add grated butternut squash, Add the tomatoes, water, sea salt and black pepper to pan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and let the sauce cool before blending in batches in a food processor. Makes about 13 cups.
- This sauce can be frozen. A 1/2 cup portion of this sauce contains 2 to 3 veggie servings!