* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
This is no ordinary tomato soup. This is the Mother of all Tomato Soups.
The Roasted Tomatoes add a touch of ‘rustic-ness’ to the dish that takes it from blah to OMG. And as a little bonus you can squeeze just about any vegetable into the dish. I try not to make it a habit to hide my vegetables, but when you have one (or two) picky eaters in the family, it’s just good sense.
A friend of ours has a gorgeous vegetable garden and bought me a huge bag of tomatoes. They were all ripe and ready so there was no way we would get through them all. Making a big batch tomato soup is a brilliant way to use up any overripe tomatoes and freezes beautifully for up to two months.
Because Tomato Soup’s a really easy dish to make, and because I was feeling a little hungry with the smell of tomatoes roasting in the oven, I decided to try out Cheesy Cauliflower dipping sticks to serve with our soup (you can see them in the picture below shaped like mini pizzas). Cauliflower pizza dough is a recipe that’s making its rounds on the internet and uses cauliflower as a base rather than traditional pastry.
The Taste Test Verdict: It looked really good. The texture was OKish, but it tasted horrible. I wanted to like it, I really did. I mean, come on, cauliflower pizza crust. It’s a clean eating Moms dream recipe. I gave each of my kids a mini cauliflower pizza. Who doesn’t like pizza? Two out of four ate it, but told me “it tasted funny”.
Just because it can be made into a dough, doesn’t mean it should. I was tempted to post the recipe, but I really don’t want you to waste your time or a whole cauliflower. There are better things we could and should be using it for. I know people are sharing it like its the next best thing. It’s not.
If you are going to make some delicious cheesy dipping sticks, use my Two Ingredient Pizza Dough as base. Its good for you (and yummy).
You will need either a blender or stick mixer to take out all the lumps. My children will eat any soup as long as they can’t see whats in it.
STEP 1: Roast your tomatoes in the oven on a high temperature for around 15 min.
STEP 2: In a pan, fry onion, garlic, carrots until lightly caramelized.
STEP 3: Add Remaining ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes until slightly reduced.
STEP 4: Blend until smooth.
CAFE STYLE OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
- 6 - 8 Ripe tomatoes quartered.
- 1 Can Tomato Puree'
- 1 Can Chopped Tomatoes I use plum tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 3 Cloves of garlic crushed
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Coriander OPTIONAL
- STEP 1. Heat oven to 190'C / 400F. Place sliced tomato on tray and bake for around 15min until softened.
- STEP 2. In a pan, add olive oil, garlic onions and carrots. Fry and stir until softened and slightly caramelized.
- STEP 3. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients to pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8 -10 min until slightly reduced.
- STEP 4: Blend in two batches (bit too much for one load)
- SERVE with a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped fesh coriander.