You would not believe that these Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins did NOT have flour in them. They taste super naughty, but are good enough to eat for breakfast!
I’m going crazy over lunchboxes at the moment. I’ve got one kid at University and working part time. One working a gap year and two at high school. Oh yes, and my hubby, who eats in his vehicle or while driving his digger. To add to things, my oldest daughter is Gluten sensitive (but OK with oats) and the other has decided to cut carbs (If you have Teenage girls, then you’ll feel my pain).
Thank goodness, these Chocolate Banana Muffins get the tick of approval from EVERYONE. I’m going to be making them all the time!! It’s a good thing they freeze well.
More Lunchbox Recipes to Try:
Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins
This is a classic kind of recipe made with basic ingredients you probably have available most of time. It’s also a great way to use up those over ripe bananas sitting on the benchtop.
There are FOUR baby steps to the recipe:
- Mix your Wet Ingredients: Bananas, peanut butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, plain yogurt
- Mix your Dry Ingredients: Oatmeal (or Oat Flour), Cocoa (or Cacoa), Baking Powder, Salt
How to Make Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins
It’s easier to make them that it is to say them 🙂
STEP 1: Combine all your Wet Ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Bananas – use ripe bananas. The riper , the better. mash first before adding the rest of the ‘wet ingredients’
- Peanut butter – Check the lable.It should say 100% peanuts.
- Eggs – Always freerange
- Maple syrup – Again. Check the lable. You’ll want 100% maple syrup and NOT sugar syrup that’s got a maple flavour.
- Vanilla extract
- Plain, full fat yogurt or Greek Yogurt
Use your whisk to mix your wet ingredients together.
STEP 2: Add your DRY Ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Oatmeal / Oat Flour – this is simply oats that have been processed to a finer grain. You can make your own by popping Oats into the food processor and blitzing it for a few seconds. 3/4 cup of wholegrain oats will give you 1/2 cup of oat flour.
- Cacao – or you can use unsweetened cocoa
- Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
STEP 3: Mix it all together
And spoon it equally (as possible) into 12 lined muffin holes.
NOW, for the optional (but highly recommended) part of the recipe – Sprinkle each muffin with a couple dark chocolate drops.
STEP 4: Bake at 350F / 170’C for 25 minutes.
Transfer to a wire wrack and allow to cool before eating. This will stop the muffins sticking to the paper.
And no, I will not judge you if you sample just one little muffin and eat it hot, while scraping it off the paper with your teeth.
Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt just a pinch
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl: Mix together mashed bananas,peanut butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and yogurt.
- Add in oat flour, cacoa, baking powder and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into prepped muffin tray, try to get roughly same amount in each hole.
- Add a couple dark choc chips to the top of each muffin (this step is optional)
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.