* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
A Classic, hearty clean eating chicken casserole that warms the tummy and the heart. This traditional family meal is packed with winter veggies and will have even the fussiest member of your family coming back for more.
More Classic Clean Eating Recipes
You may know by now that I’m a massive fan of classic family meals. I love traditional dishes that I can imagine taste the same today as they did a hundred years ago. When I think about Mothers from years gone by preparing meals exactly like this one – I go weak. It’s like our Mommy kindred souls unite. Meals like these tell a story and I get to be part of it each time I make it.
Magic Happens Here
Casseroles are one of my favorite dinners to cook for my family. Yes, they are easy to make and always a hit with everyone at the table.
But it’s more than that.
Something magical happens when you combine meat, stock and vegetables and let them all cook together slowly until the entire dish comes together in perfect deliciousness.
Maybe it’s the long, slow cooking time or maybe it’s the combination or maybe it’s the anticipation we’ve built up from smelling it cook. I’m not sure.
This dish has successfully remained a traditional family meal for hundreds of years for one reason – It’s simply perfect!
Cleaning Up the Classics
One of the easiest ways to clean up your families diet is to simply make healthier versions of the meals you already cook. It doesn’t require too much effort, just a little tweaking of ingredients.
This classic, chicken casserole is a perfect example of that.
- Made with 100% real food ingredients.
- No instant gravies or preservatives.
- Packed with budget friendly Winter vegetables.
- This is simple, traditional home style cooking at its best!
This is one of those recipes that should be made at least once or twice a month. It’s super easy, turns out perfectly every single time and is seriously, crazy kind of delicious.
How to Clean Up Any Meal
There is a foolproof way to clean up any meal you make. It’s a little obvious, but here it is:
Just start with Real Food.
Yup. That’s it. If you only have real food ingredients to start, then anything you make will a Clean. It’s that simple.
Next time you make a meal, lay out all the ingredients on the bench and ask yourself these 3 questions:
- Is everything you are about to use Real Food?
- Are any of the ingredients highly processed?
- Can you substitute any of the ‘not so clean’ ingredients with something better?
Still not sure what you are making for dinner? If you haven’t already got it, download my 12 Fast and Healthy Dinner Ideas here.
Classic Clean Eating Chicken Casserole
- 6 x Chicken thighs cut in half no skin, no bones
- 1 x large onion diced
- 2 x large carrots cut into chunky slices
- 4 x large potatoes diced
- 2 Tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 1 x garlic gloved finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock or stock cubes and water
- Olive oil for frying
- Heat the Oven to 350.F / 180'C
- On the stove top: Add onion and olive oil to a large ovenproof pan and cook until onion has softened.
- Add chicken pieces to pan and cook until juices have evaporated and meat starts to brown. Add flour, stock, herbs, garlic, pepper. Stir while you bring casserole back to the boil. Cover with the lid and place in the oven. (You can also cook completely on the stove top). I prefer the oven as less attention is needed.
- Cook for around 25 -30 minutes then add potatoes and carrots. Taste and add salt if needed.Cook for a further 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.