Clean Eating makeover of a budget friendly, classic family meal.
- Ground beef (500g / 1lb)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 6–8 potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk / almond milk
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (optional)
- olive oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 400’F / 180’C
- Savoury Mince : Heat a pan on the stove. Add olive oil, onions and garlic. Fry lightly for around 3 min until onions have softened. Add ground beef and fry until browned and all juices have reduced. Add tomato puree, carrots, salt and pepper and 1/2 cup water. Allow to simmer until water has reduced (about 5 min). Stir through peas. Spoon into an ovenproof dish. This is the bottom layer of the pie.
- Make the Mashed Potato: Heat up a large pot of water on the stove. Add potatoes and a pinch of salt. Boil for approx 12 – 15 min until soft. Drain and mash until smooth. Add butter, milk, alt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the potato on top of the savory mince until entirely covered by a blanket of mashed potato. Sprinkle with cheese and bake on high for around 8-10 min so that cheese can melt and potato crisp on top.
- Serve on its own or with steamed vegetables on the side.
- Category: Dinner