* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Every Mom should have a great Bolognese pasta sauce recipe up her sleeve. If not, then please feel free to use mine.
I make this recipe A LOT!! It’s an old recipe that never gets tired. Even though it’s made with simple ingredients – – this recipe packs a fancy punch. It’s rich, tomatoe-y (not quite sure how to spell that) and never disappoints.
Pair it up with pasta, use it as a lasagna filling or a spoon it on top of a baked potato for an easy weeknight dinner.
I double up on the recipe when I make it at home. It makes a brilliant freezer addition. I see it as a gift for the ‘Future me’. I’m always grateful to have this ready made for those nights when I just don’t feel like cooking.
- 2 teaspoons dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
OTHER INGREDIENTS IN ORDER OF USE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil for frying)
- 1lb (500g) lean beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed or finely chopped)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (canned, jar or fresh). You can use whole tomatoes and puree them in a blender.
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I use an organic tomato paste in a jar)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled, finely diced)
- 1 cup warm water
Heat up a pan and add olive oil and onions. Fry for around 3 minutes to soften. Add beef mince and fry until beef juices have evaporated and meat starts to brown. Stir with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.
Stir in your spice mix and fry for around a minute.
Stir in your crushed tomatoes.
Spoon in the tomato paste and cup of warm water.
Add your carrots. Feel free to add other veggies at this point if you want to bulf up the meal. Zucchini, pumpkin, corn and peas all work well.
Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes. This gives the sauce time to develop more flavor, thicken and cook veggies and mince till tender.
PRINT THE RECIPE
Clean Eating Bolognese Pasta Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean beef mince 500g
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (500ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste organic, jar
- 1 cup water
- 2 med carrots diced
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- In a small bowl, mix together all your spices. Set aside.
- heat up a large pan on the stove top. Add chopped onion. Fry for 3 minutes to soften slightly. Add Beef minceand garlic. Fry for approx 8 minutes until cooked through and all juices have evaporated. Brown meat slightly and stir with a spoon to prevent sticking.
- Add spice to your beef and onion and fry for around a minute. Stir to evenly coat mince with spices.
- Stir in your crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and carrots and water. Cover your pot, turn heat down to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of pasta or for a lighter option, try it with zucchini noodles.
- Fridge: allow to cool before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
- Freeze: this recipe freezes beautifully. Allow to cool, spoon into a freezer proof container and freeze.
- Reheat: Thaw before reheating either in the microwave or return to a pot and bring it to a simmer before serving.