This is not your ‘sip with a straw’ kind of smoothie. It’s thick. It’s creamy. And it’s the perfect breakfast option for when you want something fast, healthy and satisfying.
More Family Breakfast Favorites
- (Really, really good) Three Ingredient Banana Pancakes
- (Make ahead) Creamy Clean Eating Chocolate Chia Pudding
You know how some mornings you simply don’t feel like breakfast? The thought of stodgy toast, cereal or eggs just makes your stomach turn?
As I get [Ahem. Dare I say it?] older this seems to happen a bit more frequently.
The thing is, I really do need to eat breakfast. If I don’t, I get a little shaky round 10am and start to muddle my words a little. I can always tell I need to eat when I start fumbling over a kids name. Or calling them by the dog’s name.
I came up with a breakfast smoothie that I love. It’s thick and smooth and doesn’t leave me with that heavy feeling in my stomach. When I first started making it, I made it just for me. Then my youngest had one … and now the cat is out the bag. I’m making a blender full every morning.
Now that school is back on the go, this has been a morning life saver. I can feed the entire family a good breakfast in less time that it takes to get them to all brush their teeth.
What’s inside this Super Duper Breakfast Smoothie?
Made with 6 nutrient rich real food ingredients:
- Bananas – the riper, the better. Frozen bananas work well too for this recipe.
- Chia Seeds – I use the white ones for this recipe. You can use the black seeds, but I like the look of the white ones.
- Organic Oats – We’ve started buying the quick oats which is pretty much standard wholegrain oats that have been whizzed in a food processor.
- Honey – this is optional as it depends on how ripe and sweet your bananas are. Leave the honey until last and taste test before adding. You might not need it at all.
- Almond milk (or milk of your choice) – We have two Dairy intolerant kids in our home so I use Almond milk in most of our smoothie recipes these days.
- Almonds – I only add a little handful to give it a little crunch, but you can leave these out if your family prefer a smoother textured smoothie.
The ONE thing you must do to get the texture PERFECT
The unforgettable creamy, thickness of this smoothie comes down to one thing: Let it sit for at least two minutes before serving. This gives the chia seeds and oats a little time to work their magic and thicken up the drink. It’s worth the wait.
Get the Recipe
Clean Eating Breakfast Smoothie
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Allow to sit in the blender / or glass for a couple minutes before serving as this gives the smoothie time to thicken up nicely.
- If you like your smoothies to be a little colder, use frozen bananas or add a few ice blocks when making it.
- This recipe makes TWO BIG serves, so double up as needed. If you're making it for little kids, then this will be enough for 3 - 4 kids serves.