* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Clean Eating at it’s best with this rustic, hearty, Country style soup made with leeks, broccoli and potatoes and then topped with crunchy garlic and herb croutons. This is pure Bliss!!. A budget friendly meal that tastes amazing and warms little tummies on the coldest nights. It’s like a hug in a bowl.
More Clean Eating Recipes
- 12 Super Fast and Healthy Family Dinner Recipes
- Amazing THREE Ingredient Recipes You will make all the time!
- The Best Clean Eating Chocolate Pudding
Some Days you just need a steaming hot bowl of Comfort
I’ve spent the last two hours chasing our kune kune pigs around the neighborhood. In the rain. And I do mean chasing. The Houdini girls got out of the pig-proof fence, across two electric wires and on to the main road. And that’s when I got the call from the farmer who lives about half a kilometer from our house.
“I think your pigs are out. Again.”. I know what he meant by the tone of ‘Again’.
Farmers don’t approve of other farmers stock getting out their fences. You can hear it in their tone.
And to be fair, it’s dangerous – both for the pig and the cars driving past and me trying to chase two runaway pigs back home using a carrot as bait.
And I feel guilty about being a crappy stock owner. But, between you and me, I have not been able to build an enclosure that will hold these girls in place. Obviously, 25 acres isn’t enough space to roam. Obviously.
I have tried everything that seems to keep other peoples pigs put. But not mine. Oh no. Not mine.
My husband is looking for a reason to put them in the pot. Today they finally sealed their fate. The last couple of times I have managed to avoid telling my husband about their day time escapades (because this has happened before). But this time, the farmer I mentioned before happened to call my husband first.
But back to my Hug in a Bowl ….
Which is exactly what I came home to after chasing Trina and Nora (the pigs). I ate this delicious, creamy and thick broccoli and leek soup (yes, there’s enough left for dinner) while I eyed out my scratches and tended my wounded pride. I’m going to avoid that farmer for at least two weeks.
This is a really simple dinner dish that really does ‘hit the spot’. It’s thick, creamy and super budget friendly. Top it off with crunchy garlic croutons and .. oh baby!
Clean Eating Broccoli & Leek Soup (with oven roasted crunchy garlic croutons)
- 1 x large leek finely sliced
- 1 x head of broccoli roughly chopped
- 1 x large carrot diced
- 1 x onion diced
- 2 x medium sized potatoes around 1 cup when diced
- 2 x Organic Stock Cubes
- 4 cups hot water
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cream OPTIONAL
- Butter or olive oil to fry
- Heat up a large pot on the stovetop. Add, all vegetables and fry lightly until just softened. About 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add water, stock cubes, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Blend with a stick mixer until smooth (OR transfer to a blender at this point then return to pot).
- Stir through cream and serve.