This is what’s in it:
Plain flour to thicken.
Salt and pepper.
This beef stew is honestly one of the simplest, tastiest meals you can cook for a family. It’s another meal all four of my children will know how to cook by the time they leave home and it’s one of my Top 10 Real Food Meals every Mom should have up her sleeve.
It takes around 10 minutes of prep all up. I made tonight’s meal while the kettle boiled for a cup of tea. twice.
And there was enough left over to make 5 extra serves. You could easily ramp this up by adding an extra potato or a couple of carrots.
I’ve already packed four of them up for lunch (kids will take them to school) and hubby took one fishing. I’m a great wife 🙂 Who also hopes he brings home tomorrow’s dinner.
Or.. freeze the leftovers for another day. There is more than enough to make a full meal. This will keep perfectly for up to two months. In theory, a little longer, but I think it starts to affect the taste quality if I leave it any longer than this.
Or.. Make up a wholewheat pie crust and pop it on top for a delicious and healthy beef pie. Ohhhh. This is Martha Stewart kinda stuff right here.
Oh .. the most important part … kids ate every last bit of it. All of them. Not even a taste left for the dog.Boom. [Drop Mic. Walk Away].Print
Cook this rich and tasty beef stew in the crockpot. Super easy and one of my favourite budget meals to serve a ton of people. It makes 10 – 12 serves in one go.
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves (finely sliced)
- 2 lb / 800g beef diced into 1 inch thick slices (these will break apart and shrink on cooking)
- 5 medium potatoes (cut into quarters)
- 3 carrots sliced
- 3 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons plain flour to thicken.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- STEP 1: cut up onion, garlic and beef and pop it in the crockpot.
- STEP 2: Cook on high for 4 hours.
- STEP 3: peel potatoes and carrots, cut them up to add to crockpot along with 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- STEP 4: Cook for another 1 hour until vegetables are soft.
- STEP 5: Mix 2 tablespoons of flour and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Add to beef stew. Let it come back to the boil and stir while its thickening. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Serve with Brown Rice.
- Cuisine: Dinner