I LOVE this Clean Eating Chicken Donburi Bowl recipe!! It’s simple, versatile and can be prepped ahead for an easy lunch or light dinner.
It’s what I’m packing in lunchboxes for the family today. Actually, it’s what I’ve been packing for the past week. This recipe has been made on repeat of late. It’s a great way to use up leftover rice and you can add just about any veggie or salad ingredient to the bowl.
The secret to the yumminess is the teriyaki inspired chicken pieces. I season my chicken breasts with a sweet and spicy sauce which is super simple to make but makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!
Assembling your Chicken Donburi Bowl
- Brown Rice – I like to use leftover brown rice for my donburi bowls, but you can also substitute with noodles, cous cous or quinoa as these all work well.
- Sliced Chicken breast – Make up your chicken in bigger batches if you are prepping for a few days. This recipe is sufficient to season 2 – 3 chicken breasts (enough for 4 donburi bowls), so double up if needed. If you are going plant based, you can use this same sauce for Tofu.
- Salad – The key to this is to slice or shred your salad ingredients into smaller pieces. Feel free to add whatever veggies you have available. For lunchboxes, I add my corn still frozen as it keeps the donburi cold in school bags.
How to make the Sauce for your Chicken
Mix all of these ingredients together in a bowl:
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tamari (OR Soy Sauce OR Coconut Aminos)
- 1/8 teaspoon chilling powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ginger (I use the store bought jar of minced ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (1 clove crushed)
- Salt and Pepper
Make your Sweet & Spicy Chicken
- Heat up your pan.
- Add a little oil (olive oil or coconut oil are my regular choices).
- Fry your chicken breast pieces for around 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add your sauce (see instructions above) to your chicken and fry for a further few minutes. The sauce will thicken and begin to caramalise – this makes the delicious, blackened bits on your chicken pieces.
I make quite a few lunchboxes every morning, so prepping is a big part of my meal planning schedule. So if I’m making these Donburi bowls, I’ll make the rice (usually leftovers from dinner), a batch of chicken (while I’m making dinner) and shred the lettuce the night before.
More Lunchbox Recipes to Try
Clean Eating Chicken Donburi Bowls
- 2 chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Salad / Bowl
- 2 cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 2 cups Shredded lettuce
- 1 cup corn
- 4 carrots grated
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook your Chicken: Heat a pan on the stove top. Add oil and chicken strips. Fry until cooked through. Pour in sauce and stir. Fry until sauce thickens and chicken starts to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Asssemble your bowl: 1/2 cup brown rice, lettuce, corn, carrots, chicken.