Dinner on a stick tonight? Light the BBQ or heat up the oven and get these healthy, yummy BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Skewers grilling.
I’m a HUGE fan of skewer cooking. It’s something I can prep ahead of time, wrap in foil and keep in the fridge for an easy dinner. They only take a couple minutes to cook and it’s pretty much an all-in-one dinner. Except on a stick. Serve them up with a fresh and crunchy salad side like this Chopped Mexican Salad and maybe a side of these crispy, roast potatoes.
My kids are more inclined to try new foods when they are cooked in an interesting way. I’m always surprised when I see them nibbling away at an otherwise despised ingredient – just beacuse it’s been squeezed on a skewer.
There’s not much to this recipe. Simply cut up your chicken and veggies into bite sized pieces and thread them onto the skewers. Then either cook them in the oven or op them on the grill.
We like to keep our options open when it comes to grilling outdoors. In Winter and rainy days we use our Baby Weber, but in Summer nothing beats lighting up the wood BBQ and making an afternoon of it. I’m still working on getting my husband to build me an undercover pizza oven so I can light up a wood fire any time of the year …. I’ll keep you updated if this ever gets done.
BBQ & Pineapple Marinade
Marinading the Chicken for about half an hour before hand will add more flavour – obviously. I use my Homemade BBQ Sauce with a little pineapple juice as a simple marinade. This tenderises and sweetens the chicken and gives it that black, caramelised edge when grilled.
Why we LOVE Skewer Dinners
- Prep Ahead – You can prep your skewers ahead of time and keep them in the fridge till later.
- Feed a Crowd – this is a great way to prep for a larger family or as a party recipe.
- Budget Friendly – reduce the amount of meat (the expensive bit) in a meal but mixing it up with fresh veggies
- Easy Clean Up – No Dinner Dishes to Wash
- Mix and match – Pick and choose which vegetables you want on your skewers. Keep it simple with chicken and pineapple, or mix it up with what you have in the fridge.
What can you add to your Skewer?
This is a mix and match kind of dinner. You want to try and match up foods that take round about the same time to cook, but other than that, let your imagination run wild.
RELATED RECIPE: Beef and Honey Garlic Skewers
Ingredients that work well on a Skewer:
Corn on the cob
Make it Fun
This is a fun dinner to make for sleepovers. Cut up the meats and veggies and let the kids make up their own skewers to cook on the grill. It works for Teens too.
How to Cook your Skewers
OVEN BAKE: Preheat oven and Bake at (200.C / 400F) for around 15 – 20 minutes. Turn the skewers over half way through cooking. NOTE: cooking time can vary depending on the size you cut your pieces. Keep an eye on skewers to prevent burning.
GRILL: Heat up the grill and brush with a little oil to prevent skewers sticking when cooking. Grill for 8 – 10 minutes, turning as needed.
GET THE RECIPE
Chicken & Pineapple Skewers
- 4 Chicken Breast Fillets Chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Green Pepper Chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Red Pepper Chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Cup Pineapple Pieces Fresh or canned in juice
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Halved
- 1 Red Onion thick sliced
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce OPTIONAL
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice OPTIONAL
- Marinade: Mix BBQ Sauce and Pineapple Juice together until smooth. (See my marinade notes in the post above)
- Cut the Veggies and Chicken into bite sized pieces. Try and keep all pieces roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Pour the Marinade over the raw chicken and allow to marinade for at least 20 - 30 minutes.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces and vegetable pieces onto the skewers. Push snuggly onto the stick to cram as much as you can on. The meat and veggies will shrink a little when cooking.
- Brush a little more marinade onto the skewers before cooking and season with salt and pepper.
- OVEN BAKE: Preheat oven and Bake at (200.C / 400F) for around 15 - 20 minutes. Turn the skewers over half way through cooking. NOTE: cooking time can vary depending on the size you cut your pieces. Keep an eye on skewers to prevent burning.
- GRILL: Heat up the grill and brush with a little oil to prevent skewers sticking when cooking. Grill for 8 - 10 minutes, turning as needed.