Clean Eating Quick Fried Rice
Since moving to our (very) small town (population of 1,941 and I’m sure this is counting the people who drive through it on the way to somewhere else), Takeaway food is rare. As in we Never, Ever get it. The kitchen is the first and last stop for all meals.
Since as long as they can remember, my kids have lived in busy Suburbia. Everything and anything was easily accessible. Shopping centres, Dominoes Pizza and McDonalds were all within walking distance. The road always led to somewhere. Now? Not so much. Now the only thing at the end of the road are more cows. Life is a bit different and everyday brings little challenges. Not just for them, either. Not so long ago, if my day turned to custard, I could always pop down to the local Thai Takeaway for our favorite Red Chicken Curry or Thai fried rice. Aaaaahhhh (Sound of me reminiscing).
One of these new ‘challenges’ is that I have to cook ALL the time. Well, it feels like that anyway. I’m sure my children eat quadruple the amount as they did before. Maybe its just the fresh air. I don’t know. I do know that I spend way too much time in my kitchen.
On that note: Let me introduce you to my Clean Eating take on Quick Fried Rice. I timed myself and I can get this on the table and into bowls in 12 min flat. Well, actually 11 min something, but who’s counting? Every family needs a few of these super fast fallback meals. Feel free to add this recipe to your list. In fact, I encourage it. My kids love it and it looks a bit like ‘Junk Food’ so it manages to fit under their fussy radar.
- 4 cups of cooked rice (This is about 1 1/2 cups of precooked rice)
- 8 slices of diced streaky bacon (200g)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or other mild tasting oil for cooking)
- 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, red pepper)
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the kettle and turn on the oven and stove.
- Place your rice in a large pot and add boiled water. Cook for around 8 minutes. Rice needs to be slightly chewy and not too mushy.
- Heat up a frying pan. Add the oil and the bacon. Cook until the bacon fat has turned clear. Add your mixed vegetables and fast fry for about 1 – 2 min. This adds a bit of flavor to the vegetables.
- Drain the rice and add all the rice to the bacon and veggie mix. Fry briefly until the rice starts to fry. Then pour your beaten eggs over the rice and use your wooden spoon to mix thoroughly so that the egg coats the rice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.