Clean Eating Corn Tacos (a Top 10 Family Favorite)
They look a bit like junk food, but Tacos are a really good meal to feed your family when you first make the move to eating clean. They are what I would call a ‘fun food’ – A party in a shell. I asked my little ones what they liked about them and these are the responses I got:
“We can make our own”
“They crack in your mouth” (This is my personal favourite)
“You can use the corn like a spoon” (hmmm)
“There is cheese” (This one’s a keeper)
“I can eat it with my hands” (says the one who eats everything with his hands)
There you have it. The reasons Why my Kids love tacos. Ask yours why they like them – I would love to know what they say.
Be brave. Use whatever fresh salad ingredients you have available t
o stuff your tacos. You don’t need to stick to the same thing every time. Think stir fry veggies, grated carrot, shredded cabbage. Leftovers. Mix it up. I like to put all the taco stuffing ingredients in little bowls on the table so the kids can make up their own customized taco.
In case you were wondering how I get my fussy eater to choose the green stuff, I have non negotiable, unbreakable taco rule that you need to have at least two vegetables in your taco. Otherwise my two fussy eaters would just pile in the meat and cheese. And dodge the veggies. Uh uh. Mom’s always watching.
I used to buy the Supermarket variety Taco Seasoning, but now I just make up my own – without the preservatives. Here is the recipe for my Clean Eating Taco Seasoning. It’s easier than you think, so give it a go. It is enough for around one lb of beef or chicken mince, so easily feeds a family 4 – 6.
I buy Organic Taco shells from my local Supermarket. Check the ingredients, they should be something like: Corn, oil, salt.
- 1 lb (500g) beef or chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for coking)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- Taco Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 10 Taco Shells
- Salad Ingredients: Lettuce, tomato, grated cheese, cucumber, shredded cabbage, grated carrot etc.
- Sour Cream and Grated Cheese to Serve
- Taco Mince: Heat up the oil in a large saucepan. Add mince and cook until juices have evaporated and met begins to brown. Add Taco Seasoning. Fry lightly while stirring for about a minute. Add the water and tomato puree. Lt the meat sauce simmer for about 8 – 10 minutes until liquid has reduced to about half (you can cook for longer if you like a thicker, less saucy mince). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat your tacos in the oven (400F for 3 – 5 min) until slightly toasted.
- Stuff your Taco with salad, mince, Sour Cream and enjoy!