So, what is Clean Eating? It is a term that gets thrown around a lot, but do you know what it means?
Clean Eating Defined
Clean Eating is a lifestyle of eating whole foods as close to their natural state as possible. These are food that exists naturally like meat and poultry, eggs, whole grains, fish, beans and legumes, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds and dairy.
It is a deceptively simple way of eating.
And it’s this simplicity that can confuse people. Rather than revolving around the idea of eating more or less of some things (like protein, counting calories or eliminating whole food groups), Clean Eating is about simply choosing good quality whole foods from ALL the food groups and eating them in a mindful manner.
The problem is that modern food production has made it quite difficult to find and eat simple whole foods. Learning to identify, buy and prepare whole foods (or Real food) is the most challenging part of eating Clean.
The Hidden Clean Eating Agenda
Eating Clean does start with choosing real food over processed food, but it’s more than just a way of eating. It’s also a mindset: A more intuitive way of thinking about the food we eat.
Clean Eating is about being mindful of where our food comes from and it’s journey from its origins to our plate. It’s about taking accountability for our food choices and the impact they have on our health and the environment.
This transparency in food production begins with the growing or raising of our food, how it is processed and finally how we prepare it before feeding the food to our family.
How to Eat Clean
Follow these 4 Steps to Get Started with Clean Eating as a family.
- Start the 7 Day Clean Eating Family Challenge
- Read these articles:
- Download these Printables:
- Additional Resources (Link to my ebook).
The 12 Rules of Clean Eating
Download a Printable Copy of the 12 Rules of Clean Eating
Clean Eating in Nutshell
- It is about choosing real food over processed food.
- It’s about improving the quality of the food you feed your family.
- It’s about being in control of your health.
- It’s knowing and caring about where your food comes from.
- It’s teaching your kids to make good food choices now and into their future and how to recognize the nonsense fed to them every day in the form of marketing messages, advertising and the media.
- It involves feeding your family healthy, nutrient rich foods.
What Clean Eating is NOT.
- It is not complicated.
- It doesn’t require you to count calories or weigh your food.
- It is not a diet.
- It is not new.
- It’s not an endless list of ‘revolutionary’ new super foods that you have never heard of and now ‘can’t live without’.
- It’s not low-fat, low-cholesterol, vegetarian or vegan, no dairy, low carbs … nope. None of those.
Are you ready to give Real food a go?
Start the 7 Day Clean Eating Challenge today