Creamy Chicken and Butternut Pumpkin Pie with Wholemeal Crust
Tonight my kids had the choice between hamburgers or this Chicken Pie. They chose Chicken Pie. This one. With pumpkin. And they ate it. Magic happens when you add a pie crust to any meal. This chicken pie is one of the go to meals in our home. Don’t be put off by the pumpkin. It adds a sweetness to the chicken that is hard to beat. If you are trying to get your kids (including fussy Teenagers) to eat butternut pumpkin (or you can replace with sweet potato), then this is the recipe to serve up. I wish I could take a picture of how good it tastes.
I use a Clean Wholemeal Crust for the topping. Its a bit like a biscuit, so is crisp and flaky at the same time, a bit like shortcrust pastry. You can get the recipe for Wholemeal Pie Crust here.
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 4 Chicken breast fillets(finely sliced or cubed)
- 1 cup butternut pumpkin (cubed into small squares) NOTE: You can replace with Sweet potato.
- 1 cup broccoli (or any other vegetable)
- 3 medium potatoes (cut into small cubes)
- 250ml fresh cream
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wholemeal Pastry
- Preheat Oven to 180 degree Celsius / 350 degree Fahrenheit
- To Make the Filling: Heat a deep pan on the stove stop. Add the oil, onion and chicken pieces. Fry until all juices have evaporated and chicken cooked through. Add potatoes and butternut and fry for around 5 min until slightly softened. Pour in Vegetable stock and simmer on high until around half the liquid has reduced. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir through. Remove from heat and add the cream, salt and pepper and broccoli.
- Putting the Pie together: Spoon the chicken filling into a pie dish and add your uncooked crust to the top. Squeeze the edges of the pastry around the edges of the pie dish with your fingers. To stop the pie crust from lifting in the oven, prick the top with a fork in a couple of places.
- Cook: Pop your pie in the oven for around 20 - 25min until pie slightly browned and crispy.