* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Creamy Potato Bake
Looking for an easy, REALLY tasty oven baked potato bake recipe? If I need a meal to stretch for an unexpected crowd, this is the exact potato bake I make.
I can prep the a huge dish in a couple of minutes and 40 minutes later (exactly) we have a delicious, creamy potato bake on the table. The best part is it looks as if I went to a whole lot of extra effort. The three ingredient part can be our little secret.
Give this creamy potato bake a test run at the next family barbecue. I can guarantee that everyone will be fighting for the last serve left in the dish.
Don’t be fooled by the ‘three ingredient’ part of the recipe. Yes, it’s easy. Yes, it’s only three ingredients, but it works. I have made this recipe hundreds of times. It’s a classic, creamy potato bake which you can count on every time to produce the exact same excellent result.
The secret to the flavor is this ingredient. Vegetable stock is a pantry staple. I use it to ramp up the richness in taste in all my casseroles, gravies and even to infuse extra flavor in my brown rice.
You can take this standard creamy version from a vegetable side to a full Weeknight Family dinner simply by adding a few things to it.
The important thing to remember when adding variations to this dish is this – to avoid the cream curdling, you need to make sure that the vegetables you add do not release a lot of moisture when cooking. Zucchini and mushrooms are famous for this, so I recommend giving them a quick saute before adding to your potato dish.
A few of our regular varieties are:
- Sliced mushrooms, leeks and bacon
- Red Peppers & Zucchini
- Shredded Chicken and Corn
- Spinach and Caramelized onion
What Goes Well With Potato Bake?
This recipe makes a great vegetable side anytime. For an easy vegetarian dinner simply pair it with a pimped up salad (like this one) or prep some of these make-ahead Beef and vegetable skewers for an easy weeknight dinner.
More Clean Potato Recipes
You can prep this dish earlier in the day. Assemble it, cover and place in the fridge – but don’t put it in the oven until you are ready to cook and eat it.
Reheating Your Potato Bake
- Leftovers: leftovers can be kept for 2 days in the fridge. Use an airtight container with a lid or cover with foil.
- Reheating: cover your dish with foil and pop in a hot oven (400F for 5 – 7 minutes) until heated through.
CREAMY POTATO BAKE
- 2 lb potatoes peeled, finely sliced
- 1½ cups fresh cream 350ml
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powdered
- Preheat your oven to 400F / 180CPeel and finely slice your potatoes. Lay them in a large oven proof dish. Mix together cream and vegetable stock and pour over the potatoes.Bake for 40 minutes until potatoes are golden on the top. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving. The cream will thicken on standing.