Introducing one of our family’s school lunchbox favorites – the Cheesy Zucchini Slice. It’s super easy to make and the kids absolutely love it! Pop this healthy slice in their lunchbox any day of the week. It is also a really quick and tasty midweek hot or cold dinner option.
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 slices of bacon, finely diced (leave this out for a vegetarian slice)
- 5 Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 3/4 cup Self Raising Flour, Organic (See Flour options in notes)
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 170’C / 340F. Line a baking dish with greased parchment paper or rub a little oil on the dish for a non stick surface. I used a 20cm x 15cm pan and lined with parchment.
- Heat a pan on the stove stop add onion, bacon and olive oil. Fry for around five minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add cooked onion, and bacon to a large mixing bowl, add all remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Place in baking dish and use a spatula to evenly spread out on the dish.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until lightly golden and firm to touch..
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.
- Store in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can use any flour but it will change the consistency of the slice. If you use a plain flour, don’t forget to add baking powder. The ration is 3/4 cup flour to 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder.
- You can freeze this slice once you’ve cut into squares. Simply thaw and reheat before eating.
- Category: Savory Slice
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
Keywords: Clean Eating Zucchini Slice