* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Does your child hate zucchinis? I feel ya. I’ve got two that gag at the word. This healthy zucchini fritters recipe is one of only two zucchini recipes I can get them to eat without a fuss.
You Might Like:
Healthy Zucchini Recipes
You’d think that because it has zucchini that all zucchini recipes are healthy. Um. No. I have seen quite a few sugar loaded zucchini bread recipes around. Take a look at the ingredients list before you make it for your family. If it’s laden with sugar, then either avoid or see it as a treat rather than a healthy snack.
These Healthy Zucchini Fritters are a savory kind of pancake. I serve them with eggs for breakfast or as a Dinner side when I’ve got a ton of zucchini and I’m trying to make it appear more enticing to my fussier family members.
Oh yes. They also make an awesome lunchbox snack.
Ingredients you will need
- Fresh Zucchini – The recipe calls for 1 cup of grated zucchini. This works out to TWO medium zucchinis.
- Eggs – I use large freerange eggs always.
- Cottage Cheese – we use the full fat cottage cheese variety.
- Spring Onions – I’ve got these growing in the garden, but if you don’t have any, then you can replace with chopped chives or 1/2 regular onion which you can either grate or fry before adding to your batter to soften.
- Garlic – crush 1 clove of fresh garlic OR 1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic from a jar.
- Black Pepper – optional. leave this out if you are feeding to toddlers.
- Plain Flour – I’ve used organic spelt flour in this recipe, but any plain flour will do. Try choose an organic, unbleached flour. But don’t stress too much about using wholegrain if your kids don’t like it. The importnant thing here is getting them to eat zucchini.
- Baking Powder – Don’t forget to add this otherwise your fritters will be flat.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters
There are two stages to the whole process. Firstly making your batter, then frying on the stove top. Can’t avoid either :)
STEP 1: Strain your zucchini.
Mother Nature likes diversity, so sometimes your zucchini can be juicer than other days. Overly moist zucchini will result in a soggy fritter, so we try and get rid of as much of the water as possible. Toss your zucchini with salt and place in a strainer for afew minutes. Then press down on it to squeeze out as much of the moisture as you can.
STEP 2: Beat your eggs lightly. Crack them into your mixing bowl and give them a little bit of a whisk.
STEP 3: Add your Zucchini (the grated and strained zucchini we prepped earlier).
STEP 4: Add all your other ingredients – chopped spring onion, cottage cheese, garlic, pepper, plain flour & baking powder.
STEP 5: Mix together until combined into a chunky batter.
STEP 6: Fry you Fritters. Heat oil (olive oil, butter OR coconut oil will work) in a large frying pan at a medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter per fritter. You will have to cook in batches.
Fry for 2 minutes, then flip over using a spatula. Fry the other side for 2 minutes until golden.
Transfer to a wire wrack while you cook the remaining fritters.
Makes around 8 Frittters. This will depend on how much batter you use for each fritter. We serve 2 per person as a side, but if you are using this as the main part of your meal, then allocate 4 fritters per person.
Healthy Zucchini Fritters
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Eggs beaten
- ½ cup cottage cheese full fat
- 1 tablespoon spring onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup Plain flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ ground black pepper OPTIONAL
- Grate your Zucchinis. Sprinkle salt over them and and place in a strainer for acouple minutes. Press down on them to release as much excess liquid as possible.
- Beat your eggs lightly in a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients: Zucchini, spring onion, cottage cheese, garlic, pepper, flour and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Heat a frypan at medium heat. Add a little oil. Spoon 1 - 2 tablespoons of batter per fritter into the pan* SEE NOTE. Cook for two minutes then flip and cook the other side for two minutes until golden. Remove from pan and transfer to a wire wrack while you cook remaining batter.