A tasty, family friendly Green Smoothie to kick start the morning, get the brain boosted and metabolism rocking! Naturally sweet, delicious & it happens to be really good for you. This is one time that the kids won’t whinge about eating spinach (mostly because they won’t even know it’s there).
Every New Year the internet is flooded with New Years health resolutions. Lose weight, start a new diet, give up XYZ …. it goes on and on. Hey, don’t get me wrong. I love a good resolution. It’s filled with all the hope and possibilities of new beginnings and to be honest, it gives me a kind of high.
The problem comes when we mess up the resolution three or four days into getting it started. Then we give up and wait until next year to try again. Spending the next 11 months and 20 something days feeling disappointed with ourselves. Hands up if you’ve ever done that before?
I recently read a book called the 12 Week Year. The idea behind it is that we should reboot our brains into thinking in weeks instead of years to get more done in 12 weeks than others do in 12 months (it’s a pretty catchy subtitle). I loved it! For someone like me who really likes starting new things, it was revolutionary.
I’m a great starter of all things. In fact, I am brilliant at starting new things.
If there is a project or a job that needs doing. It doesn’t matter how big or how complicated – I’m your person you want on your team to get it started. I’m all in! But only in the beginning.
Once the novelty wears off then … well, you lost me. For years I thought this was a character flaw. I would berate myself for not having the staying power or discipline to follow things through. I would get distracted, lose interest and start looking around for the next new thing.
You just need to ask my family about the half painted house, overgrown veggie patch, half written books or countless gym memberships.
But then I read this book.
Even I can commit to something for 12 weeks. It means I get to have 4 ‘New Years’ every year instead of just 1 to start a new habit, learn a new skill or get something done.
By reducing the time I have to finish something, it creates a kind of urgency. Giving myself a week to do something instead of a month is life changing. And weirdly enough, I’m getting stuff finished.
I then started thinking to myself…. what if …(most good questions start with this)… I reduced my time even more. Bear with me here.
What if I saw each day as a completely new start.
It doesn’t matter what I did or didn’t do the day before. Today is another day.
We take it for granted that the days will keep coming and I think we get complacent about each day. Nothing is guaranteed.
It reminds me of a hymn we would sing as kids:
This is the day, this is the day.
That the Lord has made, that the Lord has made.
We will rejoice, we will rejoice,
And be glad in it, and be glad in it.
This is the day that the Lord has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
This is the day, this is the day
That the Lord has made.
Somewhere along the line, I simply forgot to be grateful for every day.
The question I ask myself now is this: What can you do with this day?
And the answer is often: More than you think.
Well, for one thing. You can start it off right by drinking a healthy, green Smoothie! See what I did there? I remembered I was supposed to be writing about the recipe.
A Bit About this Basic Green Smoothie
- It has a ton of spinach in it and yet you just can’t taste it
- The Mango adds the sweetness but if your mango is a bit on the tart side, then add a little honey to sweeten. Taste test first before you go spooning it in.
- The combination of Cinnamon and Ginger is pure Heaven. Don’t skip this step.
- Sprinkle with a couple Chia Seeds if you want to get it looking like the Smoothies they serve at the fancy Cafe’s.
- Seriously, if you are on this page, then obviously being healthy is one of the things you want to focus on. If you have failed with resolutions in the past, then just – for one week – start fresh every day. Good habits are created by consistently making small steps in the right direction. The year will take care of itself after that.
3 More Habit Related Posts that may interest youPrint
- 1 Apple (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 Cup frozen Mango
- 1 Cup fresh (or frozen) spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1inch piece of fresh ginger grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Cup of water (or coconut water)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- OPTIONAL: Add 5 – 10 ice blocks for a colder drink
- Blend all ingredients on high for around 40 – 60 seconds. Serve.
- NOTE: This recipe freezes brilliantly. Simply remove from freezer, thaw for 5 – 10 minutes and re blend until smooth.
- Category: Clean Eating
- Cuisine: Green Smoothie