* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Regular ol’ mash was the standard in our home until about two weeks ago. A friend of mine came back from an overseas trip and changed my life.
Changed your life, Carey?
For some reason I have been stuck making boring mashed potato for years and years and years … well, you get the picture. I actually feel cheated because now I know I’ve been missing out on a good thing.
Anyway, my friend made a trip of a lifetime to the UK for her 70th birthday. We had a Skype session and she shared all her adventures, but the thing that stuck in my mind the most was a recipe she tried in a little English pub. Actually her husband ordered it, and she wished she had (but she got a few good spoons in). It was a simple bangers and mash (sausage and mashed potato) dish with a little twist. Are you ready for it?
The Mashed Potato was served with sauteed leeks.
Not on the side.
Stirred through the mash.
Life Changer!! Seriously. I was inspired. I could almost taste the deliciousness of that combination.
I waited all of the rest of the day and recreated the recipe for the family that night … and .. Wow! This was really good. Like, “eat it every night for a week” kind of good.
If, like me, you’ve been making the same, traditional mashed potato then I’m going to rock your World with this simple recipe!
So here is the Recipe:
1. A pot of your regular mashed potato prepared like you usually do it.
2. Sautee in a pan with a little butter: 1 leek finely sliced, 1 onion finely diced. Once the onions and leeks have softened, pour in 1/2 cup chicken (or veggie) stock. Simmer until reduced. And sauteed veggies to mashed potato and stir through. Season with black pepper and salt.
That’s it. Super easy but it tastes incredible!
The only question I’m asking myself now is this: What else can I stir through my mashed potato?
After a lot of Pinterest Browsing I found these 6 Mashed Potato Recipes. So far I’ve tried #2, #3 & #6. If you have any other Mashed Potato Mash Ups worth sharing, please let me know.
6 Amazing Mashed Potato Mash Ups
1. Roasted Garlic and Pesto Mash Recipe Link: Hapanom.com
2. Bacon and Herbs Mash Potato Recipe Link: Will Cook for Smiles
3. Cheesy Mashed Potato Recipe Link: Little Spice Jar
4. Creamy Leek and Cabbage Calcannon Recipe Link: Striped Spatula
5. Sweet Potato Mash Recipe Link: Andie Mitchell
6. Mozzarella topped Mashed potato Pots.
This is really easy. Preheat oven to 400F / 180″C. Spoon mash into little pots and top with Mozzerella cheese. Pop into oven and bake for about 3 – 5 minutes until cheese starts to brown.
7. Sauteed Leek and Mashed Potato Recipe Link: Eating Well