Oven Baked Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
OK, I actually feel a bit guilty posting this as a recipe because it is that easy. If you don’t already make this for your family, then do yourself a a favor and add it to your ‘go to weekday meal list’ asap.
This is one of my children’s favourite dinners. It’s quick and easy, and you can get it in the oven in around 10 min flat and if you are up for it you can hide countless vegetables within it. I cheat a bit and I use store bought organic tomato pasta sauce. Most Supermarkets now stock this option. Just remember to read through the ingredients: We want to see tomato, onion, garlic, herbs (that’s it!).
For the meatballs you can use chicken or beef mince. I am working on a Vegetarian option that the kids will actually eat, but no luck so far. I’ll update this recipe when I figure that one out. If you have a great Veggie ‘meat’balls recipes, please let me know.
Take the time to find a brand that you like and then stock up on it. If you cant find a good quality tomato pasta sauce then browse through the canned tomato aisle. There are plenty of canned organic tomato options. I try and dirty only one pan because if I’m making this meal then odds are I’m in a hurry and washing up is not high on my to do list. If needed, use a disposable aluminium baking tray and then clean up is a breeze.
There are three steps to this recipe: Meatballs: make up your meatball mix and shape into balls. Put it together: Position your meatballs in your tray and pour sauce and grated veg on top. Pop it in the oven to cook.
One tray meal that you can pop in the oven even on the busiest of nights. Beautiful wholesome, hot family meal. Serve with Wholegrain pasta.
- 500g minced beef OR chicken.
- 2 Bottles of Organic Pasta Sauce (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons plain organic flour
- Wholemeal spaghetti
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (or 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- In a large oven proof dish, pour both bottles of tomato pasta sauce, grated veggies. Set aside ready for meatballs.
- Meatballs: mix together minced meat, raw egg, tomato puree, salt and flour. Form tablespoon sized meat balls. Put the RAW meat balls into the sauce. Do not stir as the meatballs will break apart. Add all meatballs to sauce – looks a bit odd, but trust me here, it works!
- Bake UNCOVERED in oven for 30-40 min. Meatballs will be firm, browned slightly on top & sauce will be a thicker, rich red colour.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto cooked wholemeal pasta. Kids won’t even know that they are eating tomato, carrots and zucchini – all in one dish!Serve with a fresh salad on the side.