Life has been crazy kind of busy since we moved onto our little farm. Kids, Cows, Chickens, Sheep, Work and mud. Not always in that order and not always one at a time.
Our three Ewes are almost due to give birth, so the kids are checking on them all time. I must admit, I’m pretty excited too. Can’t wait to meet the little lambs. I’ve watched the birthing videos on YouTube, harassed my Vet with endless questions. And I’ve even bought tiny little lamb jackets – just in case they are born in a cold spell. My husband says I’ve gone a bit overboard with that last one. Hmmm. Maybe. But how cute will they look?
It’s been a while since I last posted a recipe so I thought I would break that dry spell with a real Goodie – Sticky Apple & Cinnamon Scrolls.
There are two ways to make these little fellas. You can keep it 100% Clean and stick to the recipe or … and I must admit kids and hubby prefer this second sugary option …. you can sprinkle a little runny icing over them at the end. Either way, they are delicious and you only need 5 everyday ingredients to make them.
5 Ingredients you will need
Self Raising Flour
I made these for the family on Sunday and was going to remake a picture perfect version of them for the blog, but then I thought .. you might as well see how I do it at home. Not Instagram pretty, but fast and easy.
Fresh apples are always in demand in our home, so I normally use a canned variety when I need apples for a recipe like this. Canned Apples are a pantry staple for me. Check the ingredients on the can – it should be 100% Apples. This is the label on the one I use:
Heat up apples and maple syrup in a pot. I bring to the boil and let it reduce for about 5 min so that most of the moisture evaporates. Allow to cool in the fridge. You can see that I was impatient and added my apple mix to my dough while it was a bit warm. This makes rolling up your scrolls a little messy. I had a pack of eager kids waiting for this batch so corners were cut.
To make the dough, I use my two ingredient recipe. Its very versatile and flop proof, and works well with savoury and sweet recipes. Simply mix flour and yogurt together to form a workable dough. Aim for play dough consistency. No yeast, egg or kneading needed.
Roll out your dough on a floured board in a roughly oblong shape.
Sprinkle with Cinnamon.
Spread the Apple and maple mixture all over the top.
Roll it up.
Slice into one inch slices and pop onto non stick baking paper.
Bake for 20min.
Sprinkle a little icing over the top for a treat.
- 1 x 400g Canned Apples (or 4 x fresh apples, peeled, diced)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Self Raising flour
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- Heat your oven to 180′ C or 350 F.
- Heat Apples and maple syrup in a pot. Simmer for around 3 – 5 min to reduce liquid. Allow mixture to COOL in the fridge.
- To make the dough: Mix flour and yogurt together until well combined. Add a little flour or yogurt if needed to get consistency of play dough. Tip onto a floured board and roll out to an oblong shape.
- Sprinkle Cinnamon all over the dough.
- Spread the cooled apple mix on top of cinnamon.
- Roll up the dough.
- Slice into roughly 1 – 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices on baking paper and bake in oven for 20 min until slightly golden.
- OPTIONAL: Mix 1/4 cup icing sugar with 2 tablespoons hot water until smooth. Drizzle on warm scrolls and serve.