Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats – an easy and delicious family weeknight dinner.
4 Zucchini (medium sized)
1 cup grated cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 chicken breasts (sliced into strips)
1 cup mixed veggies (a selection of corn, chopped red pepper and spinach was used here)
1 1/2 cups (400ml) chopped tomatoes (or organic pasta sauce)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400F/ 180C
- Make your chicken filling: heat a pan to medium heat. Add olive oil,chicken strips, salt and pepper. Fry until juices have evaporated and chicken starts to brown. Add diced onion and fry until softened. Stir through chopped tomatoes. Simmer lightly for about 8 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add veggies, oregano and parsley. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Watch the pot – if you want your sauce to be slightly ‘saucier’ then put a lid on, otherwise leave the lid off for sauce to thicken.
- Prep your Zucchini boats: Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut your zucchinis in half long ways. Use a metal spoon to hollow out the centre (see my pictures in the blog post). Lay them on the baking tray.
- Stuff your zucchinis with the chicken filling and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Serve immediately.
- If you want to speed this dinner up by a few minutes, you can use cooked, shredded chicken. It’s a great way to use up leftover roast chicken.
- The number of zucchini boats you make will depend on the size of the zucchinis and the amount you stuff them.
- Category: Dinnner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
Keywords: Stuffed Zucchini