Toad in a Hole. Just Say it. The best Recipe name I’ve ever come across.
Few breakfast meals delight my children like this one.
Maybe it’s the name? Maybe its the eggy surprise inside?
Not Sure. But I do know that Toad in a Hole Breaky goes down a treat in our household.
My eldest daughter has always had tummy issues when eating pasta or breads, so she tries to avoid them as much as possible. When I make this recipe, I cut away most of the bread (as in – I make an egg with a crust), so she feels like she is getting the whole ‘egg on toast’ experience but without the consequential tummy ache.
If you haven’t ever made this recipe before, be prepared to have your mind blown. 🙂
STEP 1. Cut a Hole in your slice of bread. We use thinly sliced wholegrain bread. The bigger the hole, the flatter your egg sits in the bread.
STEP 2. Heat up your pan with a little olive oil or butter. Add your bread and crack an egg in the middle.Turn over to cook the other side.
STEP 3. Serve with grilled tomatoes, fried bananas or our personal favorite – homemade hashbrowns.
- 1 Egg
- 1 Slice of Wholegrain or Wholemeal Bread
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to serve
- STEP 1. Heat up your pan with a little olive oil or butter.
- STEP 2. Cut out a hole in your bread (you can freeze the left over cutout for breadcrumbs)
- STEP 3. Pop bread in the hot pan and crack your egg into the center. Flip and cook the other side.
- STEP 4. Serve immediately.