CRAZY Simple Two Ingredient Homemade Tortilla Recipe. Soft and supple enough to wrap around any of your favorite fillings.
I’m a bit fussy when it comes to my Tortillas. Some of them taste crappy with a ‘yeasty-plastic’ kind of after taste. Ifyou are nodding your head in agreement, then you know what I mean – and this is the recipe for you.
I still buy the ready made options if I can get my hands on a good quality Wholegrain variety – which always seems to be sold out in our local store. But even then, they do need a bit of a ‘makeover’ to satisfy my tortilla-fussy palette.
HOW TO PIMP UP STORE BOUGHT TORTILLAS SO THEY TASTE HOMEMADE
You can make your regular store bought Tortillas taste like they are freshly made with this little trick: wet them with a little water and fry them in a hot pan. This steams and toasts them at the sametime so you’re left with a soft, and slightly charred, perfectly made warm Tortilla.
But if you’re getting a pan dirty, you might as well make your own Homemade Tortillas from scratch. And guess what… I just so happen to know the best TWO INGREDIENT Tortilla Recipe ever created.
HOMEMADE TORTILLAS TO THE RESCUE
I’ve tried loads of homemade tortilla recipes and always end up disappointed with the result. This two ingredient soft tortilla recipe changes everything. It’s made using two real food ingredients (Yup. TWO) and can be whipped up in a couple of minutes.
Soft Tortilla Recipe
I’m all for eating healthy food, but I really want it to taste good too. It’s no good cooking up a recipe and then have no-one in the family actually eat it.
This simple, soft tortilla recipe is one of my most loved family recipe. Tortillas turn out soft on the inside, golden on the outside and they taste amazing!
A Super Versatile Flatbread Recipe
Not only do they taste better than any other Homemade Tortilla Recipe I have tried, but these tortillas are an extremely versatile recipe. Here are just a few ways to enjoy them:
- Homemade Wraps -stuff them with your preferred salad, meat or egg fillings.
- Homemade Tacos – Try this Fish Taco Recipe
- Naan Bread – Use as a healthy Naan Bread alongside a delicious chicken curry.
- As a side to your favorite Mexican Dish (like this Ahhhmazing Mexican Fried Rice)
How to Make Soft Tortillas
- Mix your Dough. Use your hands to get the dough smooth and well mixed. This is a great job to outsource to the kids.
- Roll out into round tortilla. The dough is a bit wetter than usual, so use plenty of flour to dust your board when rolling out. This recipe makes 4 large tortillas, but feel free to divide into eight pieces to make up 8 smaller (kid friendly) tortillas.
- Cook your tortilla. Heat up a pan on the stove, add a little olive oil or butter to the pan and add rolled out dough. Cook one tortilla at a time. Turn over and cook the other side once bubbles start to form and underside is golden.
- Cover with a clean dishcloth to prevent drying out whilst until ready to use.
The Recipe: Two Ingredient Soft Tortillas
HOMEMADE Soft Tortillas (ONLY TWO INGREDIENTS)
- 1 cup Plain Flour See Notes
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt Full fat
- ¼ tsp salt OPTIONAL
- Mix flour and yogurt together until dough forms. Leave to rest in the fridge for around 10 minutes before rolling.
- Divide into 4 pieces (or 8 for smaller tortillas).
- Roll dough into a ball before rolling flat using a rolling pin.
- Heat up a pan and add a little butter or olive oil to prevent sticking. Lay one tortilla in the pan. Turn once bubbles start to form on the topside or the tortilla turns golden underneath (around 30 seconds aside).
- Cover with a clean dishcloth to prevent drying out before serving.
- My favorite flour to use at home is Einkorn Flour or Uncle Bobs white wholegrain flour.
- To make a quick garlic bread. Spread a little butter and crushed garlic over your tortilla and bake in a hot oven for 3-5 minutes until butter melts.