* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Packing tomorrows school lunch is about to get a whole lot easier. Make a batch of these mini Veg and Tuna Bake Savories tonight and pop them in the lunchbox tomorrow. They make a delicious lunch or light dinner and can be served hot or cold.
More School Lunch Ideas
Healthy Lunch Ideas
Lunch always seem to get me a little stuck. Mostly because I make lunches in the morning before work and school 5 days a week. It’s more about speed and convenience at 6.30am in the morning than Instagram worthy lunchboxes.
My favorite lunch recipes are those that I can make or bake the night before. If you meal prep your lunchbox strategy, it does make the school morning thing go a bit more smoothly.
Mini Savory Veg and Tuna Bakes
I usually make up my Tuna Bake in a loaf (think of it as a tuna meatloaf), but this recipe seems to go a lot further. It makes 12 good sized portions. The hungrier kids and hubby polished off two each and that still left me with leftovers for a later Mommy snack.
More Tuna Recipes: Clean Eating Amazing Tuna and Carrot Patties
My Fussy Eater Tips
- My kids generally don’t like the onion to be ‘crunchy’ inside the savory, so I always cook the onion before adding it to the mix. If your kids aren’t that fussy, you can skip this step if you chop the onion super small.
More Recipe Notes
While this is a really easy recipe to make – everything simply gets mixed together in one big bowl, there are a couple of things I want to point out so that you get the exact results I do in my kitchen
- I used two medium sized Zucchinis which made just about 1 cup of grated zucchini.
- My one large carrot made about half a cup of grated carrot.
- Grease your muffin tray VERY well. Anything cheesy tends to stick to mine and it’s a pain to clean.
- Allow your tuna bakes to cool before removing from the tray. This avoids any messy breakages when removing them from the tin.
Mini Savory Veg & Tuna Bake
- 2 x 185g canned tuna in brine, drained and shredded
- 1 x onion finely diced
- 1 x large carrot grated
- 2 x medium zucchinis grated
- 1/2 x red capsicum finely diced
- 1 x cup cheese grated
- 1 x cup Plain Flour sifted (I use this flour)
- 1 x teaspoon baking powder
- 5 x eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350F / 170C
- grease your muffin tray really well with butter or olive oil
- Heat up a pan on the stove and cook your onion with a little olive oil until softened.
- Combine all ingredients together in a BIG mixing bowl.
- Spoon evenly into your muffin tray (it should fill all 12 of the holes).
- Bake for 30 minutes (see my notes)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tray