* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Who doesn’t love a little garlic bread?
Dipped in your favourite hummus recipe or smothered with mashed avocado (always a hit in our home). Or just on its deliciously crunchy, garlic ownsome. This is one to add to your favourites list.
We have had a little cold spell at the moment, so bring on the carbs. No salads welcome here. It’s all soups, casseroles and hot stuff in our home. I don’t mind because I can make big batches of crockpot cooking and everyone fights over leftovers.
Yesterday afternoon kids came home from school grumpy and hungry (no surprise there). No matter how much I pack in their lunch, it’s always the same. 4pm grumbles hit like clockwork. It’s a bit too early to eat dinner, so I normally let them tuck in to a late afternoon snack. It’s my ‘feeling peckish’ time too – so our little kitchen gets a lot of foot traffic.
We have a LOT of garlic at the moment. It was on special and I got a whole bag for the price of one. I know, of course I got it. It also means we are eating garlic in everything. Not that I’m complaining.
I don’t normally make my own bread. We have a lovey little bakery up the road that does a great job at this, so it’s a lot easier to buy it from them. And despite what everyone tells you, normal bread is a bit of a pain to make if you don’t have a breadmaker There’s all that kneading and waiting and kneading and waiting. And it still doesn’t turn out as well as the baker up the road does it.
This recipe is a
little lot easier than bread making and I think looks like you tried a little harder. Put this on the dinner table and compliments will keep on coming.
When I was growing up, my parents took me to this Italian Restaurant. My favourite food – by far – was the garlic pita bread they served as an appetizer. We are talkin’ a LONG time ago, so I can’t remember what it tasted like, but I do remember what it looked like and how much I loved it. This is my attempt to recreate that recipe – and I think I did a really good job (Not sure if the little Italian chef would agree, but my family don’t know any different).
Wholemeal Garlic Pita Bread (Super Easy)
- 1 cup Wholewheat
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400'F / 185'C
- Mix yeast and water and stir until dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, water and yeast until a ball of dough forms.
- Leave in a warm, dark spot for 15 min (I cover my bow with a dishcloth)
- Turn the dough onto a floured tray / or non stick paper and roll out. Try get it as thin as possible.
- Mix garlic and oil together and rub all over top of rolled out dough.
- Bake for 15 - 20 min until golden.