A simple Wholewheat pie crust to top your favorite savory pie. Made with three basic pantry ingredients and really quick and easy to make.
My family loves pie. Any pie. Slap a pie crust on it and its all go. Pie pastry gets a bad name but its a super easy 5 min job. This recipe shows you how to make my Clean Eating Wholemeal Pie Crust. Its has a more nuttier, ‘biscuity’ texture compared to standard pie pastry. Beside tasting delicious, its kinda pretty with a beautiful rustic look when it comes out the oven.
It takes around 5 minutes to get this pastry from pantry to pie and uses only three ingredients: All purpose Wholewheat flour, Butter, Almond Milk (You can use standard milk too) & salt.
To get the biscuity texture of the pie crust, use cold butter and mix it through the flour using your hands until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Only then you can add the milk and salt. Knead until you have a smooth dough that’s ready to roll out.
Roll out as much as you need to cover your pie.
This recipe makes enough pastry for two pies. You can pop any leftover dough in the freezer. Simply thaw before using next time.
- 2 cups of flour
- 200g of cold salted butter (cut into cubes)
- 2/3 cup (120ml) Almond milk (or standard milk)
- Add flour and butter to a large mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, blend the flour and butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the salt and milk and mix together until a dough is formed.
- Roll out on a floured surface.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius / 350 degree Fahrenheit. Place on top of pie and bake for around 20 – 25 min until crust is slightly brown and crisp.