* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
There are some recipes that even my two fussy eaters eat without the slightest upturned nose. If you have a child that is of the ‘fussier variety’, then these are for you – The 7 veggie recipes that will get even the pickiest of eaters to change their ways.
Two out of four of my kids love vegetables. The other two, well they are what we call, fussy eaters. These days they eat their vegetables, but they still don’t like them. Gone are they days of tantrums at the table, but I still get a little sideways look when I load their plate with greens.
Certain recipes go under their anti-veggie radar so I am always on the lookout for these so that I can add them to my growing list of vegetables that they eat without the fuss.
Here are 6 of the best Vegetables Recipes to Serve up to Fussy Eaters
1. Veggie Burrito Wraps (Gimme Delicious)
2. Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries
Instructions: Heat up the oven to 350F/180C. Slice sweet potato into ‘fries’. Pour a little olive or coconut oil and add cinnamon. Use your hands to coat the uncooked fries well, then spread out evenly on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
3. Broccoli & Cheese Sauce (with a little crispy bacon)
4. Sushi Sandwiches (food to love)
Cut the crusts off thinly sliced wholewheat bread. Spread with cream cheese or hummus. On one side of the bread, place thinly sliced strips of vegetables like carrot, cucumber, avocado, pickles, red pepper and I like to add shredded chicken too. Roll up the sandwich starting with the end that has the veg & chicken strips. Slice each roll in half or thirds and serve (Here is a little tutorial to see it in action).
Here are a few of our favorite sushi sandwich combinations:
- Cream cheese, salmon & Avocado
- Cheese, carrot, cucumber and sour cream
- Chicken, mayo and lettuce
- Tuna, cucumber & cream cheese
- Egg, mayonnaise, cucumber & lettuce
- Carrot, lettuce, chicken & hummus
6. Vegetable Nuggets (Mucheesmo)
Here are my TOP 4 Tips to get your fussy eaters to Eat their Vegetables:
1. Prepare it in different ways. You may have noticed all of these recipes look a little like ‘junk food’. It’s not all about looks though, texture plays a big part too. Does you kid hate over cooked, soft and soggy carrots? Try lightly sautéing them in a little butter so they have a slightly sweet, caramelized flavor. Can’t get your kids to eat sweet potatoes? Cut them into sticks, bake them till crispy and serve as fries.
2. Offer it with a dip. I can get my children to eat most vegetables if it them with a dip or smothered in a cheese sauce. As they get more familiar with the fact that they are actually eating the vegetable (without it breaking them), then try new ways to serve it up.
3. Serve up a platter. Serve raw vegetables on a platter with hummus and bitesize pieces of cheese, corn and pickles.
4. Hide it. You heard me. Hide it. Load up on vegetables in casseroles, soups, pizza toppings, lasagne and pasta sauces. You will get no judgment from this Mom. Start small and work your way up. Your number 1 goal is to get your children eating vegetables because it’s good for them!
5. Don’t give up. Don’t get frustrated or give up just because your little one packs a massive tanty when they see a new vegetable on their plate. Let them see you eat it, insist that they take ‘one bite’ and then try again another day. I promise you that your perseverance will pay off.
For more inspiration take a look at my Pinterest Board all about Vegetables (and don’t worry, there are plenty of great ideas to suit fussy eaters).