Clean Eating Zucchini Bread
Ahhh. Is it a bread or is it a vegetable? Hmmm. This Zucchini Bread is so packed with all the good stuff, you almost feel guilty watching your kids plough through it. Ha. Almost. Revenge for ‘nobody’ leaving that half eaten apple under the couch.
So many Zucchini recipes call for a truck load of sugar and to be fair, I have tried both the sweet and savoury version of Zucchini bread (Never say no to a recipe tasting opportunity:) and I have to admit, the Savoury variety Zucchini Bread is a winner by far. Don’t worry, I sweeten this up a bit, just enough to make this recipe a hit with everyone. If you have the time, make up a double batch (you will understand why when you see tomorrow’s recipe).
Isn’t it pretty?
Don’t be put off by the HUGE amount of grated zucchini that goes into the making of this loaf. I used all 5 of my leftover zucchini and still think I could have squeezed in two more. I recommend making it when the fussier kids aren’t around because the sight of it really freaks them out and makes that ‘Just try it’ first bite an issue. Just a bit.
If you want to, you could add a bit of finely diced bacon, or a cup of grated carrot. There is room to play with this one as it is very forgiving and pretty much fail proof.
- 2 Cups of grated zucchini (Don’t squeeze out excess water)
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- Juice of 1 orange (around 150ml)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or mild tasting oil)
- 2 cups Wholemeal Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup of warm water (only slightly warm – body temp kind of warm)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated.
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the honey, orange juice, water and warm butter together. Add the eggs and then slowly fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and Parmesan. Stir in the grated Zucchini until well blended together. Spoon into a well oiled loaf tray and pop it the oven for 60 – 65 minutes on 170’Celsius or 320 Fahrenheit. Check to see that the loaf is cooked by inserting a sharp knife into the middle. If it comes out clean then it’s cooked otherwise leave in for 5 min extra.