* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Delicious One Pot 20 MINUTE Weeknight Dinner. This is a flavour full, vegetarian fried rice that’s easy to make and family friendly.
My kids love this in their lunchbox as it’s just as good served cold the next day. Make a big batch because it is GOOD!
Clean Eating Vegetarian Fried Rice
We’ve been trying to up our Veggie game of late. I’m reluctant to admit it, but I still have this belief system that Dinner isn’t a dinner unless there’s a little meat involved.
Salad for dinner just doesn’t do it for me. I leave the table feeling slightly ‘cheated’.
Finding a Vegetarian meal that:
- leaves everyone feeling satisfied (and not missing the meat), and
- the family will actually eat without a fuss
is a rarity for me, but it’s also something I’ve been working on. Recipes like this Mexican Fried Rice dish make it a whole lot easier to get the family eating less meat and squeezing more veggies into their diet – without the drama.
This Clean Eating Mexican Fried Rice Dinner went down so well with my meat eating family that no-one even noticed that it was 100% Vegetarian.
HOW TO MAKE CLEAN EATING MEXICAN FRIED RICE
VIDEO: MEXICAN FRIED RICE
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: FRY YOUR ONIONS IN A LITTLE OLIVE OIL
Heat your pan to a medium heat so that the olive oil doesn’t smokeo or burn. Add your chopped onions and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they soften.
STEP 2: PREP YOUR SPICES
In a small bowl, mix together cumin, mild curry powder, tomato puree, salt and black pepper. I use a mild curry powder, but if you like a little heat in your food, feel free to use a medium or hot blend.
Give those Spices a Good Mix until smooth.
STEP 3: Fry your spices, garlic and onion for around 1 minute
Add your spice mix and garlic to the onion pan and fry lightly for around a minute. This helps develop the spice flavors.
STEP 4: Add the Veggies
Stir in beans, corn and carrots. Remember to rinse your beans well before cooking.
STEP 5: Stir in 4 cups of Cooked and Cooled Rice
This is an awesome recipe to whip up if you haveany leftover rice on hand.You will need 4 Cups of cooked and cooled brown rice.
Finally …. Serve it up
My favorite way to serve this dish is with these four sides:
SCHOOL LUNCHBOX PREP
One of my secret, lunchbox hacks is to serve up leftovers the next day. This recipe can be eaten cold, so I can dish it up the night before, pop it in the fridge and it’s ready to go for school lunch.
I’ve used these lunchboxes for about 8 years now, and they are awesome, but my kids are getting a little bigger and they didn’t want their lunch to look the sameas it did in preschool. So …. I recently made the switch to these glass mealprep lunchboxes, and I’m loving them.
Clean Eating Mexican Fried Rice
- 4 cups Cooked Brown Rice Cooked and Cooled
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder mild
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1¼ cup black beans I use a full 420g can of beans
- 1 cup sweetcorn frozen or fresh
- 1 cup carrots peeled and chopped
- Cook Rice: If needed, cook Rice and set aside to cool. You will need 4 cups of cooked rice for this recipe.
- Spice Mix: In a small bowl, mix together cumin, curry powder, tomato puree, salt, black pepper. Set Aside.
- In a large fry pan or pot: Heat to medium temp. Add olive oil and onion. Fry for 2 minutes until onion softens. Add garlic and spice mix. Fry for another 1 minute, stirring to prevent sticking.Add Corn, beans and carrots PLUS 1 tablespoon of water (to help the spices mix through a little easier). Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and stir through.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole and a dollop of sour cream.