Delicious One Pot 20 MINUTE Weeknight Dinner. This is a flavour full, vegetarian fried rice that’s easy to make and family friendly. My kids love this in their lunchbox as it’s just as good served cold the next day.
Clean Eating Vegetarian Fried Rice
We’ve been trying to up our Veggie game of late. I’m reluctant to admit it, but I still have this belief system that Dinner isn’t a dinner unless there’s a little meat involved.
Salad for dinner just doesn’t do it for me. I leave the table feeling slightly ‘cheated’.
Finding a Vegetarian meal that:
- leaves everyone feeling satisfied (and not missing the meat), and
- the family will actually eat without a fuss
is a rarity for me, but it’s also something I’ve been working on. Recipes like this Mexican Fried Rice dish make it a whole lot easier to get the family eating less meat and squeezing more veggies into their diet – without the drama.
This Clean Eating Mexican Fried Rice Dinner went down so well with my meat eating family that no-one even noticed that it was 100% Vegetarian.
HOW TO MAKE CLEAN EATING MEXICAN FRIED RICE
VIDEO: MEXICAN FRIED RICE
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: FRY YOUR ONIONS IN A LITTLE OLIVE OIL
Heat your pan to a medium heat so that the olive oil doesn’t smokeo or burn. Add your chopped onions and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they soften.
STEP 2: PREP YOUR SPICES
In a small bowl, mix together cumin, mild curry powder, tomato puree, salt and black pepper. I use a mild curry powder, but if you like a little heat in your food, feel free to use a medium or hot blend.
Give those Spices a Good Mix until smooth.
STEP 3: Fry your spices, garlic and onion for around 1 minute
Add your spice mix and garlic to the onion pan and fry lightly for around a minute. This helps develop the spice flavors.
STEP 4: Add the Veggies
Stir in beans, corn and carrots. Remember to rinse your beans well before cooking.
STEP 5: Stir in 4 cups of Cooked and Cooled Rice
This is an awesome recipe to whip up if you haveany leftover rice on hand.You will need 4 Cups of cooked and cooled brown rice.
Finally …. Serve it up
My favorite way to serve this dish is with these four sides:
SCHOOL LUNCHBOX PREP
One of my secret, lunchbox hacks is to serve up leftovers the next day. This recipe can be eaten cold, so I can dish it up the night before, pop it in the fridge and it’s ready to go for school lunch.
I’ve used these lunchboxes for about 8 years now, and they are awesome, but my kids are getting a little bigger and they didn’t want their lunch to look the sameas it did in preschool. So …. I recently made the switch to these glass mealprep lunchboxes, and I’m loving them.
Clean Eating Mexican Fried Rice
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder mild
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1¼ cup black beans I use a full 420g can of beans
- 1 cup sweetcorn frozen or fresh
- 1 cup carrots peeled and chopped
- Cook Rice: If needed, cook Rice and set aside to cool. You will need 4 cups of cooked rice for this recipe.
- Spice Mix: In a small bowl, mix together cumin, curry powder, tomato puree, salt, black pepper. Set Aside.
- In a large fry pan or pot: Heat to medium temp. Add olive oil and onion. Fry for 2 minutes until onion softens. Add garlic and spice mix. Fry for another 1 minute, stirring to prevent sticking.Add Corn, beans and carrots PLUS 1 tablespoon of water (to help the spices mix through a little easier). Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and stir through.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole and a dollop of sour cream.