Clean eating Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
I could eat this all over again. And I will. There is a small lunch box of leftovers still in the fridge. Just enough for me and whoever catches me heating it up.
If you didnt start early with introducing your children to Whole Foods or Clean Eating (like me with first three kids), then the change can meet with a small, surprisingly coordinated revolt. Or a big revolt as in the case of my eldest son. My first attempts at serving up brown rice and Quinoa is a really good example. He hated it. As in gagging, sweating and tears kinda hated it. To get over this vehement reaction I had to mix it together with standard basmati rice and slowly increase the brown rice to basmati ratio. Now he eats it without too much of a fuss. The point is – He eats it and brown rice is now a regular addition to our meal plan.
This is a really good dish to slowly get your kids used to brown rice. It’s full of flavor and the vegetables are your standard variety broccoli, cabbage and carrots. You can mix and match them. I recommend introducing your kids to one new ingredient at a time so don’t over do it by adding vegetables that you know are going to freak your kids out. By the way – this is only for the fussier eaters. If your kids eat everything, then ignore all of the above.
- 1 Cup uncooked brown Rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked Quinoa
- 4 Chicken thigh fillets, sliced into small strips.
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Cups of Mixed Vegetables (I used broccoli, grated cabbage and sliced carrots for this recipe)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 mild chilli finely sliced (Optional)
- In a large pot, bring rice and Quinoa plus 4 cups of water to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until rice is soft and not too chewy. Remove from heat and allow rice to slowly absorb excess water.
- Heat up a fry pan. Add onions, garlic, ginger (plus chilli if you are using it) and cook until soft. Add chicken and cook until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Add Vegetables to your chicken and lightly fry until just tender.
- Add Rice to the chicken and vegetables and mix through. Fry for a few minutes until the rice makes that delicious sounding frying sound and all moisture is gone from the bottom of the pan.