A Healthy option for those of you who love Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken Takeaway. Made with squeezed orange, a little honey and oven baked until sticky perfection is achieved. Hmmm mm mmm.
If you’ve had this dish from your local Chinese Takeaway, you will know two things:
A. It’s Delicious (Good) and
B. It’s FULL of added sugar (Not Good) – the thing that makes it so damn delicious.
If this is a dilemma you find yourself facing a little too regularly, then you are going to love me! This remake is just as tasty but way healthier! So dig in Guilt free!
To keep that sweet taste going, I use freshly squeezed Orange Juice instead of sugar. Try and find a really ripe orange. The sweeter the orange, the sweeter the dish will be at the end. If your orange is a little sour, then you can add a some honey to sweeten it up
Sweet & Sour Chicken Three Ways
You can make this recipe work in a number of ways:
- Cut the chicken into little cubes (like they do at the Chinese takeaway)
- Slice some chicken breasts and pop on a stick (like I did in this recipe)
- Or use whole chicken pieces (because you’re in a bit of a rush).
When I make this as a dinner dish at home, I normally serve with some brown rice or rice noodles and a quick side of stir fried vegetables.
Two Basic Steps Away from Sticky Bliss
- Flour and fry the chicken
- Pour over Sauce and Bake until Sticky
Clean Eating Sweet and Sour Orange Chicken Kebabs (A healthy version of the one from your favourite Chinese Takeaway). So so so Good!!!!
- 4 x Chicken Breasts (Sliced into 1/2 inch slices)
- 5 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 1 Egg Lightly beaten
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider
- 1 Tablespoon Honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Tomato paste (for the orange colour)
- Oil for Frying
- Heat Oven to 400’F / 190.C
- STEP 1: Flour and Fry
- Heat up a pan on the stove. Add a little oil.
- Put the chicken on your kebab stick before cooking. Dip the chicken in the egg and then flour.
- Fry each side until golden.
- STEP 2: Mix Sauce and Bake
- Mix together – orange juice, honey, apple cider, tomato paste
- Pout over the chicken and place in oven.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until sauce is sticky and thick and chicken cooked through.
- Season with Salt.
- Cuisine: Clean Eating Dinner