This Creamy Pan Fried Pesto & Chicken Fettuccine is a quick and easy week night dish made with seasonal vegetables, fresh cream and wholewheat pasta.
More Posts your May Like
Wholemeal pasta is one of those things you think your children won’t eat. Simply because it looks different or you have never tried it.
I’m not kidding when I say this – My children haven’t even noticed the change to wholemeal pasta from our old standard refined pasta version. And I have two very picky eaters. They didn’t even ask the dreaded “is this different to the way you used to make this?” question. What they mean by this is – before they had to check if I had tried to sneak in something healthy.
Take this easy win and enjoy it. Make the swap to wholewheat pasta and then try this really tasty (and easy) pasta dish. And the leftovers pack up well for next day school lunch boxes.
A Go To Weeknight Dinner
This is my basic creamy pesto pasta. It is extremely versatile and you can add any combination of vegetables or meat to mix it up. So for example, I use this basic pasta recipe to make any one of these four recipe variations:
- Chicken & Zucchini (this recipe)
- Chicken & Mushroom (just add shredded chicken & sliced mushrooms
- Ham and mushroom (just add ham and mushrooms)
- Spinach and feta (just add spinach, pine nuts and feta)
Feel free to add any vegetables you like to this dish. BUT BEWARE: Cream does some funny things (aka curdling if you mix it together with too many other liquids. Make sure to reduce the liquids from your vegetables and chicken before adding the cream to the pan.Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 x chicken breasts – sliced into stir fry strips
- 340ml full fat cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil pesto
- 2 x large zucchini (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (finely sliced/crushed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wholewheat or Spinach Fettuccine
- Cook Fettuccine as per packet instructions
- Heat up a large pan on the stove. Add olive oil, chicken, salt and pepper. Cook until chicken starts to brown.
- Add pesto, garlic and zucchini. Fry for a minute and stir.
- Pour in cream. Bring to the boil, then turn heat to medium and allow to simmer for 3 – 5 minutes. Cream will reduce ad start to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add cooked pasta to pan. Toss gently to coat pasta with creamy sauce.
- Serve immediately.
To stretch this meal to serve a crowd, I like to make a large salad to accompany it.
Stay in Touch
Be sure to Subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook page, and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy family resources. For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Clean Eating with Kids, check out all our family friendly Clean Eating Recipe here.
LIKE IT? PIN IT HERE