* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Pasta is always a hit at dinner time and makes great leftovers the next day too. So my Smart Mom tip of the day is this: ALWAYS double up any pasta recipe you make. It means an easy lunchbox prep tomorrow. Ooh if you want to get really on top of your game and buy yourself time for an extra cup of tea in the morning – divide leftovers straight into lunch containers so that you have them ready to go in the morning.
Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine sounds a lot fancier than it is. Don’t be fooled by the name. This is an easy option for busy weeknight meal and I think one of the best recipes I have if you are looking to introduce mushrooms to a ‘Mushroom Averse’ child.
I normally use dried wholewheat pasta but if they don’t have it in stock (like this week), I opt for the standard organic pasta.
You can leave out the wholegrain mustard, but I think this is what makes this dish a little special and ups the taste game. The recipe requires very few ingredients, so you do get appreciate the mild mustard flavour at the end. In our home I would serve it with a quick salad and wholewheat garlic bread.
Even on the busiest of school nights you can pull this meal together in 2.5 easy steps:
1. Cook your Pasta
2. Make up the creamy mushroom sauce
2.5 Stir through and serve
Creamy Mushroom & Wholegrain Mustard Fettuccine
- Dried Pasta I used Fettuccine
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Cups Sliced mushrooms
- 1½ Cups Fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Boil a large pot of water on the stove. Add Pasta and cook for 8 -10 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside. Add salt and a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Heat up a pan on the stove. Add butter and mushrooms. Fry until mushroom juices have evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown. Add cream, mustard and salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes until cream has reduced and sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir through pasta.
- OPTIONAL: We add chilli flakes or peppercorns for a little hot kick.