* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Clean Eating Dairy Free Custard: A smooth, creamy vanilla custard made with unsweetened Almond milk. Dairy free and easy to make in under 5 minutes. At only 96 Calories a serve you can pour it over homemade apple crumble for the ultimate, guilt free dessert.
During the Holiday Season. my mind does tend to wander towards sweets and treats. I like to have a few healthy dessert recipes on hand for when I get that itch for something yummy.
This vanilla custard takes only a couple minutes to make using a few pantry ingredients.
Custard with Almond milk
This custard recipe is made with Almond milk.
I’ve used almond milk in my recipe only because I’ve been noticing that dairy at night doesn’t agree with a few us in the family.
Maybe it’s a lactose thing or maybe it’s just because we tend to lounge around at night – I’m not too sure. Either way – this Version of Vanilla Custard is thick, smooth, creamy and tastes incredible and is a lot lighter on the stomach.
Dairy free custard
Maybe you’re not eating dairy, maybe you’re trying to cut down on the dairy you eat, either way, this custard won’t disappoint. You can but store bought dairy free custard, but for the cClean Eating version, you can’t get much better than this!
How to make Clean Eating custard
Step 1: Assemble your ingredients. For this recipe, you will need these 5 ingredients:
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Arrowroot Powder
Step 2: Whisk together the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
Step 3 Whisk arrowroot powder and two tablespoons of the almond milk until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps in the mix as this could result in lumpy custard.
Step 4: In a large sauce pan, whisk together egg mix, arrowroot mix and almond milk.
Step 5: Heat the custard mix on a medium heat and STIR CONTINUOUSLY. Custard thickens as soon as it reaches near boiling. This happens in seconds so you need to be vigilant with that stirring.
Serve hot or cold with an apple crumble.
PRINT THE RECIPE
Clean Eating Dairy Free Custard
- 1 ½ cups Almond Milk Unsweetened
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup 100% pure
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2½ tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla & maple syrup.Combine the Arrowroot powder with two tablespoons of the almond milk to form a smooth paste.In a large saucepan. Combine egg mix, arrowroot mix & almond milk.. Whisk continuously to ensure no lumps are present.Heat in a saucepan on low to medium heat until the mixture starts to simmer. THICKENING WILL OCCUR IN SECONDS so keep stirring.Simmer for two minutes. STIR CONSTANTLY to prevent lumps forming as custard thickens.