Easy Clean Eating Chicken Cacciatore
I love this dish. It’s one of those simple meals that you can make for an early Sunday dinner or you could serve at a dinner party. Either way, it looks beautiful and it’s going to go down a treat.
‘Cacciatore’ means ‘Hunter’ in Italian. So the idea behind this dish is that it is prepared ‘Hunter Style’ with commonly found ingredients like tomatoes, onions and poultry. You can almost imagine Italian Wives preparing this meal in rural Italy 100 years ago. This is often an End of the week meal for me. The day before I go food shopping when the fridge is empty. I go scrounging in the pantry a bit like a Hunter too. Ha. Maybe that’s what its named after.
The traditional Cassiatore included red or white wine, but to make it a bit more of a family friendly dinner, I skip the wine and replace with chicken stock to get that classic rich taste.
- 6 Chicken Thighs (one per person)
- 2 onions finely diced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves of Garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Chicken Stock Cube dissolved in 1 cup of hot water
- 1 punnet of sliced Mushrooms (250g)
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat up a the Olive Oil in a large pan. Slice the Chicken thighs in half and dust with flour, salt and pepper. Seared in the oil for three to four minutes on each side. Remove and set aside in a large oven proof dish.
- In the same pan, fry the garlic and Onion and fry until softened. Add the Mushrooms and cook for 3 – 4min. Pour in both cans of Tomato. Add , Chicken Stock, Rosemary and Oregano and bring to the boil.
- Pour the Tomato mix over the chicken pieces and place in oven. Bake at 190 degree Celsius / 370 Fahrenheit, The dish should simmer softly for around 40 minutes.
- Serve with a rustic bread or pasta on the side.