* We sometimes use affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
Clean Eating Macaroni and Cheese.
This is a family classic that shows up regularly in our house. Before we started eating clean, I would buy those nasty boxes of mac ‘n cheese from the Supermarket. The ‘just add one ingredient’ type. It was a quick meal that everyone loved, so it was also one of the first meals that I decided to remake using real ingredients.
This Clean Eating Mac ‘n Cheese doesn’t take much more time to make than the nasty variety, but, let’s be honest, you don’t want to be feeding your family that other stuff anyway, plus it keeps beautifully for school lunch boxes the next day too – if there is any left for the next day. I recommend making a double batch for next day leftovers.
If you haven’t ever made a white sauce from scratch (Classic Bechamel Sauce), then watch this video before you attempt your first batch. There is a bit of life lesson involved in making a sauce using a butter and flour roux that I think every cook should know.
The first time I attempted this, I thought I had messed up – badly. I added my milk to my butter and flour mix then it happened. The white sauce turned into play dough in a couple of seconds. I ended up throwing it away, only to have the same thing happen in Attempt 2 and 3 and 4 … and then I phoned my Mom.
How to make a Classic White Sauce using butter, flour and milk.
I was watching ‘The Hundred Foot Journey’ the other day. Which was awesome, by the way. I love a movie that leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy. Bechamel sauce featured as one the five French Sauces that all Cooks should master. I thought it was kinda cool that it had made it’s way into our humble Macaroni and Cheese.
Clean Eating Mac 'n Cheese (Easier than you think)
Ingredients Cheese Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 bag of Macaroni I use dried Organic wholewheat Macaroni
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil your macaroni until slightly under cooked. The pasta should be a little chewy. Drain and set aside.
- Cheese Sauce: In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth paste is formed. Cook for about 5 - 6 minutes until the mixture turns a light, sandy color.
- Slowly add milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. The sauce till thicken instantly when you add your milk. Just keep whisking.
- Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Season with salt and add your cheese, stirring slowly until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Add your cooked macaroni to the sauce and mix together. Spoon the macaroni and cheese into an oven proof dish and sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for around 10 min until the cheese is golden brown on top.
- Serve with a fresh salad.