Omelettes are one of the quickest and easiest breakfasts to whip up for the kids. Stuff them full of leftovers or chopped veggies or eat them plain with a little cheese. Learn how to make an omelette without breaking it using my easy Burrito style folding hack.
More Easy Kid Friendly Meal Ideas
Get my Printable Dinner Time Cheat Sheet with 18 fast (20 minute or less) & healthy weeknight meal ideas that the whole family will enjoy. Click here to get it now and start using it tonight.
How to Make an Omelette
It takes around 2 minutes to make a basic, no frills cheese omelette from start to finish.
- Heat up a non stick pan and add a little knob of butter or olive oil.
- In a bowl, crack two eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk well with a fork.
- Pour the egg mix into your hot pan. Swirl the pan to spread evenly.
- When the omelette is looking cooked underneath, but still a little runny on top, sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Use a spatula to fold one half of the omelette towards the middle. Let it cook for around 20- 30 more seconds until it starts to turn a golden colour underneath and serve.
- You can either fold it all the way or over for a half moon shaped omelette, or (and I prefer this method), you can try my omelette folding hack below.
My Omelette Folding Hack
If you are making omelettes in production line quantities, then chances are you’ve had the non-pleasure of seeing your gorgeous omelette break half way through the bit where you fold it over.
And maybe, that annoys you? It bugs the hell out of me, so I came up with a little omelette folding hack which makes it a lot easier to fill an omelette to capacity without the risk of it breaking.
If adding fulling to the omelette (see variations below), lay the filling down the center (image 1) and fold the side to around 3/4 of the way over and then repeat with the other side. This makes a burrito shaped omelette that is a lot easier to work with once filled. I’ve added some photos of our breakfast this morning to show you what I mean.
Here are a few Omelette Ingredient Variations:
The basic omelette remains the same, but you can change it up by filling it with meat and veggies of your choice. Here are a few of our favorite omelette toppings:
- Spinach and Cheese omelette
- Mushroom Omelette
- Cherry Tomatoes and Cheese
- Ham and Cheese Omelette
- Asparagus and Cheese
- Mushroom, feta and caramelized onion
- Mixed Vegetables and cheese
- Leftovers from last night
More Kid Friendly Clean Eating Breakfast Recipes