Spicy. Sweet. Sticky. Finger lickin’ Ah-mazing! This is an easy weeknight (or any night) one skillet meal which delivers every time. It’s pretty much fool proof. and wickedly delicious!
Chicken pieces are sweet, sticky and fall apart perfectly with the smallest touch. Each piece is lovingly rubbed with a homemade Portuguese Spice Rub (you will LOVE this) and drizzled with a sweet and sour honey marinade.
My kids, the hubby and every person I have EVER made it for absolutely love this easy to make chicken dish. Well, to be honest, what’s not to love? It’s sweet, sticky and tastes a lot like the ribs from our favorite restaurant. Personally I think my chicken tastes better, but I may be biased. Kids reckon it’s a tie. But what do they know?
My husband bought me a Stove to Oven Skillet“> skillet for my birthday (he knows me well) that can go from the stove top to the oven and it’s awesome. Most meals can be made in one pot – which means hardly any washing up! Yay! And the flavors stay in the pan from beginning to end.
I watched a Jamie Oliver show (He’s my foodie crush) and I saw one for the first time. It was a Eureka moment for me. I’m in love! With my new Skillet“>, not Jamie. I don’t like to push kitchen items on my blog but if you haven’t already got a stove to oven skillet or pan, then you are seriously missing out. This will change the way you cook!
There are only two basic steps to this recipe:
1. Rub chicken with the spice mix and fry for around 6-8 minutes until brown.
2. Pop in oven for 20 – 25 minutes until sauce is sticky and thick and chicken looks golden and irresistible.
This recipe works with most cuts of chicken – wings, thighs, legs. I don’t usually use chicken breasts as I think they dry out too much and the cheaper cuts hold the flavor so much more. Maybe if you decreased cooking time it would be OK, but personally it’s not what I would choose.
If you are looking at entertaining and need a plate of nibbles that you want to impress – opt for some chicken wings or legs. Trust me, there will be a line up for your ‘secret recipe’. Enjoy the attention!
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Thighs
- 6 Chicken thighs or you can use legs or wings
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat Oven to 380F
- Mix Spices together in bowl. Rub spices on uncooked chicken.
- Heat up a skillet on the stove top. Add oil and chicken. Fry for around 6-8 minutes until browned all over.
- Mix honey and apple cider vinegar together and pour over browned chicken.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 25 minutes until sauce thick and sticky (longer may be needed for legs. Check that chicken is cooked through).
- Serve on rice with fresh greens.